Ultraman Zearth (ウルトラマンゼアス Urutoraman Zeasu) is one of the Ultras hailing from the Land of Pikari (ピカリの国 Pikari no Kuni lit. Land of Sparkles) in Nebula Z95 (Z95星雲 Zetto Kyūjū-go Seiun) (a parody of the Land of Light in Nebula M78). He is featured in two eponymous films, Ultraman Zearth 1 and 2. Though prone to falling under the effects of his anxieties, resulting in times when his strength is severely impacted, Zearth is a skilled fighter, capable of performing techniques equal or even greater in strength to other Ultras.
- 1 Conception
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Profile
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
"Zearth" comes from the word "zenith", which means "the highest point" or the "height" of an aspect of a given item, and "Earth".
Zearth is extremely hygienic and has a dislike for dirt. He will go to great lengths to clean his body if it gets dirty. Although he acknowledges that he is not an adept fighter, he tries his best and trains himself to clean the polluted Earth.
An Ultraman from the Land of Pikari in Nebula Z95, Zearth came to the planet Earth to defend it from the forces of evil, creating the human identity Katsuto Asahi, a member of Mydo, an Earth defense team that used a gas station as their secret base. Due to his fear of dirt he was placed in the lowest position in the team, the janitor. His occupation as a janitor appealed to the dirt fearing Zearth’s own love of cleanliness. The fact no one took him seriously didn’t bother him, since he was not allowed to go out on missions, it gave him the chance to transform out of sight. When the dreaded Cotton-Poppe attacked Japan, Zearth transformed to practice in the Japanese countryside while MYDO searched for the monster. During Zearth's practice, He got dirt on his hand while training, desperately washing it off. Unknowingly, Zearth had let the evil Alien Benzene know of his phobia. Soon the alien used this to discover the truth of Zearth's human form and continued to torment him with oil.
Benzene soon captured a group of children and Zearth's love interest, luring Zearth to fight his monster with the plan that the explosion from his beam would destroy the Earth, leaving the alien to plunder Earth's remain for the gold he sought. MYDO caught up with Zearth and warned him of the scheme. With the barrier blocking him, the only way to get to the hostages was to cross a huge pool of tar to rescue them. Zearth tried but his crippling fear caused him to sink, his Color Timer blinking rapidly, disappearing below the surface. It seemed the Ultra hero was doomed but MYDO and the children cheered for the hero, giving him strength. His love interest remembered Katsuto's words of how he felt stronger by hear her flute played with all her heart. Restored, the mighty giant erupted forth back at full power, doing battle with the vile kaiju, proving his strength. He eventually knocked out Cotton-Poppe with the Zearth Knee Strike, then used the Super Zearth Kick to send Benzene flying into outer space before lifting Cotton-Poppe and taking him into space, safely using the Speshusshura Beam to obliterate the beast, while its master drifted through space.
Ultraman Zearth 2: Superhuman Big Battle - Light and Shadow
Not long after the defeat of Benzene and Cotton-Poppe, Benzene's wife, Lady-Benzene arrived to try her luck. Sending her underling Ultraman Shadow to attack the hero, he was ambushed in Antarctica, easily being pummeled and being given a bloodshot eye. Finally, he was struck by the Shadolium Beam, which due to his fear, overwhelmed his own, knocking him out. The battle left Zearth emotionally crushed and unable to fight due to complete terror of Shadow. But, after receiving a message from his father, as well as a capsule monster named Miraclon, Zearth decided to train and become powerful enough to face the evil android. But time wouldn't allow him to gain enough training before the evil Ultraman reappeared in the city.
As Zearth was still yet to overcome his fear of Shadow, the Ultra sent his capsule monster, the heroic Miraclon, to fight for him. However, while Miraclon defeated Shadow's capsule monster Darklar, Miraclon was pummeled by Shadow, forcing him to be recalled, allowing Shadow to capture the city for his mistress, including Katsuto's love interest. After a great deal of training, Katsuto regained confidence and transformed into Ultraman Zearth to battle his doppelganger. The two collided in an epic battle in Shadow City, Lady-Benzene's base. Zearth's training allowed him to overwhelm his nemesis, finally sending Shadow plummeting from the sky with his newly developed Ultra Heel Drop, damaging the robot's head, revealing the circuitry inside and seemingly defeating Shadow.
However, Lady-Benzene commanded Shadow to rise again, recharging him - the battle was not yet over! The two fired their finishing beams against each other, which locked. While Zearth appeared to have the upper hand, Lady-Benzene boosted Shadow's power, and the wicked machine began to overpower Zearth. With the voices of millions chanting behind him, Zearth managed to unlock even more of his strength, and switched to the mighty Cross Speshusshura Beam. The attack easily cleaved through Shadow's beam, finally slamming into his body and blowing the robot apart. After the battle, Lady-Benzene appeared, congratulating Zearth for defeating Shadow but telling him it was far from over and she'd be back to conquer the Earth before she left in a shower of golden particles. Zearth restored the minds of all the enslaved humans, and sent them home before leaving himself, with newfound inner strength he would forever be the Earth's protector should the people of Benzene try to attack the planet again.
- Height: 60 m
- Weight: 54,540 t
- Age: 9,500 years old
- Home World: Land of Pikari, Nebula Z95
- Maximum Flight Speed: Mach 19.9
- Maximum Running Speed: Mach 5.55
- Maximum Underwater Speed: 889 kph
- Maximum Underground Speed: Mach 1
- Maximum Jumping Height: 1000 m
- Weaknesses: Zearth originally had a fear of any substance considered 'filth' such as mud, oil etc. The fear was so great that attempting to walk across a pool of tar caused his Color Timer to go off and he nearly drowned before regaining his strength. He has since overcome this fear.
Zearth's transformation is the same in both movies. Katsuto Asahi brushes his teeth with his special toothbrush and raises it into the air, similar to how Hayata used the Beta Capsule. In the first movie, a typical rise was shown while in the second film, the rise scene was given a transformation effect in real-time, with Katsuto turning into Zearth in a tower of light and then flying off into the sky for his showdown with Shadow. Zearth's transformation item in the first films was the Pikari Brusher, which was a white electric toothbrush that he kept in his top pocket. In the second film, the second Pikari Brusher was red and yellow and resembled his body markings.
- Speshusshura Beam (スペシュッシュラ光線 Supeshusshura Kōsen): Also known as Speciu-shula Beam, this attack is Zearth's "+" style beam attack. It can destroy monsters in one shot, though when Zearth first used it, the beam was only about as accurate as Taro's when he was a boy.
- Cross Speshusshura Beam (クロス・スペシュッシュラ光線 Kurosu Supeshusshura Kōsen): The "X" style version of the Speshusshura Beam. Can destroy monsters in one shot and is more powerful than his normal beam or Ultraman Shadow's Shadolium beam at full power.
- Super Zearth Kick (スーパーゼアスキック Sūpā Zeasu Kikku): A spinning kick with enough force to send an enemy flying into space.
- Ultra Heel Drop (ウルトラかかと落とし Urutora Kakato Otoshi): An axe kick using a flame covered foot.
- Machine Gun Kick (マシンガンキック Mashin Gan Kikku): A powerful combination of kicks.
- Zearth Knee Kick (ゼアスニーキック Zeasu Nī Kikku): Zearth concentrates energy into his leg and disperses it into his enemy via a knee kick, leaving them paralyzed.
- Zearth Drop Kick (ゼアス・ドロップキック Zeasu Doroppu Kikku): A drop kick from high above at maximum flight speed. Used to break Cottenpope's horn.
- Zearth Punch: Punches to key point of the opponents anatomy, dished out from left to right in continuous blows.
- Zearshutoh (ゼアシュトー Zeashutō): A blow to the crown of the head.
- Zearth KO Punch (ゼアスKOパンチ Zeasu Kē-Ō Panchi): A powerful punch aimed at the Solar Plexus.
- Zearth Chop: A chop from high above down the middle of an object
- Zearth Cross Ver. 1.0 (ゼアスクロスVer.1.0（バージョンイッテンレー) Zeasu Kurosu Bājon Ittenrē): A chop in the air while gliding by the opponent.
- Zearth Counterblow (ゼアスカウンターブロー Zeasu Kauntāburō Unused): A horizontal chop.
- Ultra Warp Beam (ウルトラワープビーム Urutora Wāpu Bīmu): Zearth teleports objects/people using beams of light from his eyes.
- Zeascan (ゼアスキャン Zeaskyan Unused): Sterilizes the area within a 50 km radius.
- Ultra Rewind (ウルトラリワンド Urutora Riwaindo Unused): Rewinds time.
- Ultra Stretch (ウルトラストレッチ Urutora Sutoretchi Unused): Slows time.
- Ultra Blender (ウルトラブレンダー Urutora Burendā Unused): Makes hyperspace temporarily. It is similar to Ultraman Nexus' Meta Field ability which was later demonstrated.
- Z Capsule Light Monster Miraclon: A gift to Zearth from his father.
Ultraman Zearth 2
- Zearth is:
- The first Ultra to show his eyes being visibly damaged by an opponent, as shown when Shadow punched him in the face, his left eye turned red, the Ultra equivalent of a black-eye.
- The first Ultra to use more than one transformation item (excluding willpower), as the Pikari Brusher was upgraded/replaced by the Pikari Brusher 2.
- The replacement of the Pikari Brusher, may stem from the fact that in real life, toothbrushes need to be replaced after a certain number of usages.
- The first Ultra to fire his signature beam from his left hand.
- The first Ultra to open his mouth. During the final battle against Ultraman Shadow, Zearth lets out a battle cry before overpowering Shadow in their beam clash, ultimately destroying Shadow. The inside of his mouth was a blue light showing his inner tissues to be mostly or entirely made of energy. The second Ultra to open their mouth was Ultraman Belial. However, Belial is constantly seen with his mouth opening and closing while he speaks.
- Despite being seen as the most cowardly of all Ultra Heroes, Zearth is surprisingly strong, defeating an alien and a monster at the same time with no help from a defense force. He can also rewind time, speed up time and slow time, something not many Ultras can do. Despite that, Zearth is also not the first Ultra to run from a fight, that would be Ultraman Jack, who retreated from Bemstar in an attempt to regain his energy, and later in the series refused to fight Zetton for fear of the monster. Zearth also only refused to fight because of his lack of confidence in his own abilities and not actual fear of his opponent like Jack.
- Zearth's suit is made from the same type of material as Ultraman Great's and his color timer is also the first to use LEDs. His gloves are also the first sewn into the suit itself.
- A third Zearth movie was proposed, but at that time Ultraman Tiga & Ultraman Dyna: Warriors of the Star of Light was being produced and it has not been spoken of again.
- Interestingly, were the third movie produced it would've been revealed that Zearth was the grandson of his universe's Ultraman King. Whether this is still true despite the movie's cancellation is unknown.
- Zearth's father was shown before, but the only known image of him is a shadowy outline of an Ultra with Ultra Horns.
- Zearth's home world, the Land of Pikari, seems to be home to Ultra versions of animals like birds and cats.
- Ultraman Zearth Super Complete Works 2 1997, p. 49