"I ask that you chant my name! Ultraman Z!"
- ―Z's introduction
Despite being Z's base form, Original was actually made by simplifying the design of Alpha Edge. Each forms later on are designed with the concept of combat uniforms and drastically changing the main silhouette. LEDs on the eyes and Color Timer can be adjusted in accordance to the brightness of the filming locations. In production stills, the Color Timer appears to be whitish, but its actually dark blue.
- Alpha Edge: The first form to be designed. The black and thin lines of the suits were made with laser, which is the first time this was ever implemented to a suit. Materials with different thicknesses were implemented on each parts of the body so as to emphasize a three-dimensional movement.
- Beta Smash: The mask was initially meant to be silver, until director Kiyotaka Taguchi came up an idea to paint the mask in red as well.
Z is a hot-blooded hero who greatly looked up to Ultraman Zero, who became his mentor. Although Zero recognizes his talent and potential, he says that in his current state Z is only "half or maybe one-third" of a fully-fledged hero. Tough and athletic, Z always operates at full power. Z also has a humorous side, as he is unaccustomed to Earth's culture and sometimes uses words incorrectly. While Z is inexperienced and still developing, he's also a passionate hero who loves peace and justice.
He tends to use the word "Ultra" as a prefix to adjectives (such as "Ultra Awesome!" and "Ultra Strong!").
The voice drama episodes show that he does not take his classes very seriously and that he prefers to use his instincts against his enemies instead of studying them.
Ultra Galaxy Fight: The Absolute Conspiracy
Z will appear in this series where he fights Zetton Alien Baltan.
Landing on Earth
At some point, he and his master chased down Genegarg, who was affected by the Devil Splinters, to Planet Earth, though Zero was thrown into another dimension by a Bullton. Just as Zero was falling into the wormhole, Z received from him the Z Riser and Ultra Medals, continuing on without Zero. Z bonds with STORAGE member Haruki Natsukawa, who died piloting Sevenger against Genegarg. Z revived the young man and used the items he received from Zero to perform Ultra Fusion, transforming into Alpha Edge to defeat Genegarg. After the battle, Z instructs Haruki to collect the Ultra Medals that Genegarg scattered upon its destruction.
Facing several other threats alongside Haruki and STORAGE, Z eventually obtained the Z Lance Arrow, a "gift" from an ancient Ultraman, during Peguila's rampage. Sensing Z and Haruki's determination to save lives, the artifact reacted to them and unveiled its true form, which Z used to defeat Peguila. Shota Hebikura, who had been watching them the whole time, unveiled his true identity to face them as Zeppandon, which he transformed into after copying Haruki's Z Riser. Still, Z manged to defeat Zeppandon.
Z was later assisted by Ultraman Geed/Riku Asakura, who had gained a Z Riser after his Geed Riser had been damaged while fighting Gillvalis, who was revived by a Devil Splinter. He was ecstatic to be fighting alongside Geed as he told Haruki that Geed was not only a fellow student of Zero's, but the one who destroyed Ultraman Belial. Later on, Shinya Kaburagi/Celebro took control of the Valis Raiders through Gillvalis' remains and had Riku abducted to extract the Belial Factor from him, which he used to successfully create the Belial Medal. Unable to stop the Vallis Raiders, Z took control of Haruki and fought them off alongside Yoko Nakashima, at human size. Celebro then used the Belial Medal to transform into the Belial Fusion Monsters Skull Gomora, Thunder Killer and Pedanium Zetton. Z and Geed attempted to fight them off, but were being overwhelmed by their power until Ultraman Zero reappeared, helping them win the battle against Celebro. Because of other cases of monsters rampaging due to the Devil Splinters, Zero and Riku left the Earth in Haruki and Z's care while they flew off into space.
- Height: 52 m
- Age: 5,000 years old
- Weakness: Z will degrade into his Original form from his Ultra Fusions if Haruki becomes overwhelmed and loses his will to fight. In such a case, Z will be severely weakened and his Color Timer will go off immediately.
- Z Slugger: In his Alpha Edge form, Z has two Sluggers on his head, inherited from Zero.
- Beam Lamp: In his Alpha Edge form, like its components, Z sports a Beam Lamp.
- Protectors: In his Beta Smash and Gamma Future forms, Z possesses Protector armor on his chest.
- Light Crystal: In his Gamma Future form, Z gains a light crystal on his forehead.
Transforming in this manner allows Z to possess Haruki's body and fight human-sized opponents. However, the smaller stature consumes energy roughly three times faster than normal, meaning Z can only remain transformed for roughly 50 seconds.
Haruki Natsukawa sets his Ultra Access Card into the Z Riser and then places three Ultra Medals in the slots before sliding the blade and pressing on the trigger. He says his signature catchphrase for each form before transforming.
"Space Martial Arts, the Inherited Fighting Technique!
Master Zero! Master Seven! Master Leo!
- ―Activation announcement for Alpha Edge
The rise scene starts with Z emerging from a blue and red background with sparks circulating around him, similar to Ultraseven's transformation scene. As he gets closer, a splash of cyan light appears like in Leo's rise scene before red and blue ribbons of light appear like in Zero's transformations.
"Burn in Scarlet Flames, the Power of Courage!
Brother Ultraman! Brother Ace! Brother Taro!
- ―Activation announcement for Beta Smash
The background is torn open to reveal a red one like in the opening of Ultraman, before changing to a smoky red background similar to Ultraman's rise scene. It is replaced by a fiery background with Taro's ring of light appearing before being changed to a blue background with streaks like Ace's rise.
"Phantasmagoria, the Mystic Lights!
Mr. Tiga! Mr. Dyna! Mr. Gaia!
- ―Activation announcement for Gamma Future
Gamma Future's rise consists of the backgrounds from the title cards for each component's respective show: a purple background with rotating shards from Ultraman Tiga, then a swirling purple and pink background from Ultraman Dyna, ending with the fiery spiral from Ultraman Gaia.
Original (オリジナル Orijinaru) is Z's default form. As he is still a rookie, Zero compared his strength to at barely 1/3 or half of an experienced Ultra, but nevertheless sees potential in the young warrior.
- Weight: 33,000 t
- Maximum Flight Speed: Mach 7
- Maximum Running Speed: Mach 2
- Maximum Underwater Speed: Mach 3
- Maximum Underground Speed: Mach 2
- Maximum Jumping Height: 900 m
- Arm Strength: 90,000 t
- Grip Strength: 62,000 t
- Energy Kick: Z charges energy into his foot and kicks the enemy.
"Zero! Seven! Leo!"
- ―Activation announcement
"Ultraman Z: Alpha Edge!"
- ―Transformation announcement
Alpha Edge (アルファエッジ Arufa Ejji) is Z's martial arts-oriented form, which uses assets of Ultraseven, Ultraman Leo, and Ultraman Zero. This speedy form fights with Space Martial Arts inherited from his master and specializes in quick moves using karate. This form debuts in episode 1.
- Weight: 35,000 t
- Maximum Flight Speed: Mach 10
- Enhanced Senses: After following Shota Hebikura's advice, Haruki and Z's increased concentration allowed them to detect Neronga when it was invisible. It was later used to counter Zeppandon's teleportation.
- Barrier: Z can erect a barrier to block attacks.
- Zestium Maser (ゼスティウムメーザー Zesutiumu Mēzā): A high-temperature beam of pinpoint accuracy fired from Z's Beam Lamp. Based on Seven's Emerium Ray, Zero's Emerium Slash, and Leo's Ultra Shot.
- Space Martial Arts (宇宙拳法 Uchū Kenpō): Z Alpha Edge uses the same fighting style as Zero, who learned it from Leo, who in turned trained under Ultraseven.
- Alpha Burn Kick (アルファバーンキック Arufa Bān Kikku): A flaming kick attack.
- Z Slugger (ゼットスラッガー Zetto Suraggā): Z can generate a pair of holographic Zero Sluggers from his head. These can be connected by energy to be used in a similar fashion to nunchucks and bolas, or thrown as projectiles.
"Ultraman! Ace! Taro!"
- ―Activation announcement
"Ultraman Z: Beta Smash!"
- ―Transformation announcement
Beta Smash (ベータスマッシュ Bēta Sumasshu) is Z's strength-oriented form, which uses assets of Ultraman, Ultraman Ace and Ultraman Taro. This powerful form has a dignified fighting style, and specializes in courageous and impressive pro-wrestling type battles. This form debuts in episode 3.
- Weight: 42,000 t
- Arm Strength: 150,000 t
- Beta Crescent Slash (ベータクレセントスラッシュ Bēta Kuresento Surassshu): A slicing energy attack, based on Ace's Vertical Guillotine.
- Zestium Upper (ゼスティウムアッパー Zesutiumu Appā): Z performs a powerful uppercut punch on the opponent while his body glows with energy, usually after throwing the enemy into the air and jumping after them. It can destroy a monster in one blow. Based on Ultraman's Ultra Punch, Ace's Ace Kick, and Taro's Flying Atomic Punch.
- Swallow Kick: A flying kick attack performed after several mid-air somersaults, based on Taro's signature kick attack.
"Tiga! Dyna! Gaia!"
- ―Activation announcement
"Ultraman Z: Gamma Future!"
- ―Transformation announcement
Gamma Future (ガンマフューチャー Ganma Fyūchā) is Z's psychic-oriented form, which uses assets of Ultraman Tiga, Ultraman Dyna and Ultraman Gaia. This psychic form fights with mysterious powers. He is skilled at versatile beam attacks and fights trickily like a wizard. This form debuts in episode 8.
- Weight: 32,000 t
- Maximum Jump Height: 720 m
- Size Change: Z can change his size.
- Barrier: Z conjures a purple barrier to block attacks.
- Zestium Drive (ゼスティウムドライブ Zesutiumu Doraibu): Z forms twin energy whips from his hands to strike the opponent. Based on Tiga's Tiga Slicer, Dyna's Dyna Slash, and Gaia's Photon Edge.
- Gamma Illusion (ガンマイリュージョン Ganma Iryūjon): Z summons glowing projections of Tiga, Dyna and Gaia to join him in battle and fire their signature beams.
- Gamma Freezer (ガンマフリーザー Ganma Furīzā): A freezing ray, based on Tiga's Tiga Freezer.
- Energy Sphere: Z can create energy spheres in his hands to attack opponents with.
- Energy Chop: A chopping attack where Z's hands are charged with energy.
- Gamma Through (ガンマスルー Ganma Surū): Z creates a portal to go to another location. This can also transport him into the body of another being.
- Gamma Miracle Hold (ガンマミラクルホールド Ganma Mirakuru Hōrudo): Z conjures rings of light to bind the enemy.
- Beliarok (ベリアロク Beriaroku): A sword with an arm guard themed after Belial's head. It is capable of speech and intelligent thought.
- Deathcium Slash (デスシウムスラッシュ Desushiumu Surasshu): A slashing attack.
- Deathcium Claw (デスシウムクロー Desushiumu Kurō): Z impales the Beliarok into the ground. It summons two giant claws to attack the enemy.
- Deathcium Fang (デスシウムファング Desushiumu Fangu): An apparition of Belial's head chomps down on the opponent.
"Zoffy! Tiga! Mebius!"
- ―Activation announcement
"Ultraman Z: Sigma Breastar!"
- ―Transformation announcement
Sigma Breastar (シグマブレスター Shiguma Buresutā) is Z's thermal-oriented form, which uses assets of Zoffy, Ultraman Tiga, and Ultraman Mebius. In addition to thermokinesis, he can also exert Tiga's ability to harness power and speed.
This form is exclusive to the second wave of Ultraman Fusion Fight: Z Heat.
- Weight: 36,000 t
- Fire and Super Strength: Z's upper body is capable of exerting both the power of fire and super strength.
- Ice and Super Speed: Z's lower body can unleash a gust of cold air and moving at an incredible speed.
- Zestium Ray Burst (ゼスティウムレイバースト Zesutiumu Rei Bāsuto): Z simultaneously unleashes a freezing wave from his right palm and a flaming beam from his left palm.
- Hand Slash: A light bullet fired from Z's hand.
- Zestium Beam (ゼスティウム光線 Zesutiumu Kōsen): Z's signature Ultra Beam, fired from his arms in a "+". It can be used by all of Z's forms.
- Energy Projectile: Z shoots energy projectiles from his crest. This is Z's standard energy attack for all his forms in Ultraman Fusion Fight!.
- Z Riser: Z can use his transformation device as a weapon.
- Lightning Generade (ライトニングジェネレード Raitoningu Jenerēdo): Using Cosmos, Nexus, and Mebius' powers, Z summons lightning bolts to strike down the enemy.
- M78 Style Shining Tornado Slash (M78流・竜巻閃光斬 Emu Nana Hachi Ryu Tatsumaki Senkō Zan): Using Zoffy, Jack, and Father of Ultra's powers, the Z Riser unleashes an energy blade to fight with. Later on, Z creates a whirlwind to blow the opponent away, and throws a buzzsaw disc at them.
- Z Lance Arrow (ゼットランスアロー Zetto Ransu Arō): A lance weapon that Z uses in combat.
- Lance Cutter (ランスカッター Ransu Kattā): A slicing attack.
- Arrow Shot (アローショット Arō Shotto): An energy projectile fired from the lance's tip.
- Z Lance Fire (ゼットランスファイヤー Zetto Ransu Faiyā): Z draws the letter Z with flames, which he then sends flying towards the opponent, combusting them alive.
- Z Ice Arrow (ゼットアイスアロー Zetto Aisu Arō): Z creates a large energy bow, which launches an arrow that freezes its target.
- Ultraman Zero + Ultraseven + Ultraman Leo = Alpha Edge: They share a chain of mentor and disciple relationships, with Seven training Leo and then Leo training Zero, who in turn trained Z. In addition to being trained in terms of physical resilience, they can also perform combination attacks together. Seven and Leo are also the most important Ultras in Zero's life, as the former is his father and the latter is his mentor. Both Seven and Leo (under their human guises of Dan and Gen respectively) were also members of MAC.
- Ultraman + Ultraman Ace + Ultraman Taro = Beta Smash: Taro is Ace's adoptive brother, and the three are all part of the Ultra Brothers. They also each had a human host they were forced to separate with, either due to massive injury on the former or by personal choice in the latter party.
- Ultraman Tiga + Ultraman Dyna + Ultraman Gaia = Gamma Future: They revived the franchise in the late 90's and are officially the first three Heisei Ultras. They are also often placed together during crossovers and popularize the concept of Human Ultraman (人間ウルトラマン Ningen Urutoraman), wherein the human hosts are in control of their Ultraman alter-egos.
- Ultraman Zero + Ultraman Belial + Ultraman Geed = Delta Rise Claw: All three of them are powerful Ultras with great potential in their youthful age. Zero and Geed are in fact foils of Belial and the two would have fallen to the same dark path as Belial had if someone had not interferred. Aside from that, these three share an intimate, complex relationship, direct beings on the path the others took. Belial was defeated by both Geed and Zero, making them both heroes. Zero was bitter enemies with Belial, and guided Geed as an Ultra, becoming like a big brother to him. To Geed, Belial is his father, a part of his life. Another thing in common is the fact that the form of Zero Beyond, Geed Primitive, and Belial Atrocius are accessed with the Riser in Ultraman Geed.
- Zero was as power-hungry as Belial, but he was prevented from touching the Plasma Spark by his father and eventually matures into a heroic Ultra Warrior that eventually saved the Land of Light.
- Being a clone of Ultraman Belial, Geed was pressured by the public opinion due to the uncanny resemblance of his father and would have joined his father had Laiha not interfered. Geed as well saved the World of Side Space by destroying his father once and for all and was eventually honored as a hero.
- Zoffy + Ultraman Tiga + Ultraman Mebius = Sigma Breaster: Zoffy, Tiga and Mebius had their powers shared to Ultraman Orb during his mission to eradicate Lord Monsters that they previously sealed on Earth. All three of them are related to the original Ultraman in many important aspects.
- Zoffy: Ultraman was revived by Zoffy on Earth and separated him from Hayata. The real life Zoffy suit was made from Ultraman's Type A suit and thus, making him the first succeeding Ultra to bear his archetype.
- Tiga: Regardless of his multiple iterations, Tiga would always find himself teaming up with Ultraman and/or his alternate counterparts against common opponents. Their powers are also crucial in providing Orb's Spacium Zeperion as an alternative to losing Orb Origin for 108 years on Earth.
- Mebius: As with all members of Ultra Brothers, Ultraman provided guidance to the rookie during his active period on Earth. In addition, Mebius' Burning Brave mode took a heavy inspiration from the former's design.
Ultraman Day 2020
At first, he struggled to use a hashtag (using 丼 and then 井 instead) for Ultraman Day but eventually got it right. He then set out to collect the feelings of appreciation (in the form of glowing orbs with their Ultra Signs in them) for Ultraman, from the other 5 Ultra Brothers. Z first went up to Taro and Zoffy, then met with Ace looking at the stars, then trained with the Ultra Lance with Jack. Z then met with Seven, who threw the orb at him. With all five gathered, Z mustered up his courage to deliver them to Ultraman, who accepted him and his offering. Ultraman performed the Cross Touch (クロスタッチ Kurosu Tacchi) with Z to signify their bonds.
- Z is:
- The second primarily blue Ultra to have his own series, after Ultraman Cosmos.
- The first Ultra from the Land of Light known to have natural black markings, besides non-canon characters.
- In an interview for Tsuburaya Galaxy, series director Kiyotaka Taguchi revealed that Z's 3 Ultra Fusion forms are meant to represent three eras of Japan's monarchy.
- Alpha Edge: Reiwa
- Beta Smash: Showa
- Gamma Future: Heisei
- The surface of Z's Color Timer is engraved with a pattern of letter Zs.
- In the Ultraman Z Premiere Online Event held on June 5th, the show's director Kiyotaka Taguchi mentions that the reason behind Z's catchphrase was because he noticed that having Haruki, a complete novice at being an Ultraman, call out the name of Z, just like his predecessors who proclaimed their Ultra personas during their transformation sequences, would be rather unnatural. After much discussion with the cast and crew, they settled on the current catchphrase, where Z himself tells Haruki to chant his name.
- The classes Z takes in the Inter Galactic Defense Force include space meteorology, ancient space literature, and monster ecology.
- The similarity between Beta Smash and Redman are pointed out by many fans and is also acknowledged by one of the series' writers, Takao Nakano. However, designer Masayuki Gotou admitted that it was never meant to resemble the red figure in any way or another.
- This gets a recognition in-universe when a lost Kanegon quickly compared this form to a certain "red guy".
- Suit actor Hideyoshi Iwata revealed that Beta Smash's moves were inspired by pro-wrestlers from 1990, especially the Super Generation Army team. His use of a cutter was inspired by Japanese wrestler Satoshi Kojima's Koji-Koji Cutter. Z's performance of this technique in against Telesdon even caught the interest of Diamond Dallas Page.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/1996hirofumi/status/1243011090935513088
- ↑ https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/1933
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Uchusen 169, pages 80-81
- ↑ Uchusen 169, page 78
- ↑ https://twitter.com/TakahashiHyouri/status/1279220457590321153
- ↑ https://toy.bandai.co.jp/series/ultraman/item/detail/11394/
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 https://toy.bandai.co.jp/series/ultraman/item/detail/11397/
- ↑ https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EciKawyVcAA3qHR?format=jpg&name=medium
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ultraman_series/status/1275654918259576841
- ↑ File:94610675 1077014932680275 6582681944041979904 o.jpg
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ultraman_series/status/1278252345273405440
- ↑ File:94143686 1077015039346931 4158157507992223744 o.jpg
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ultraman_series/status/1290935620114685953
- ↑ File:94362994_1077015136013588_5465919047545651200_o.jpg
- ↑ https://twitter.com/TsuburayaGlobal/status/1297826429657157633
- ↑ https://m-78.jp/news/post-5598/
- ↑ https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/2261
- ↑ https://twitter.com/DCD_ULTRAMAN/status/1300761790192648192
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ultraman_series/status/1281241718516379648
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ultraman_series/status/1281060995339743232
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ultraman_series/status/1281242961695526913
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ultraman_series/status/1281244227339341827
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ultraman_series/status/1281245491309588487
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJJ3THk-FW0
- ↑ https://youtu.be/iMUX2nMKsAg?t=1564s
- ↑ https://twitter.com/galshocker/status/1279213603292233729
- ↑ https://twitter.com/aws49T8EvYnPX7U/status/1279224724032126976
- ↑ https://twitter.com/iwatahideyoshi/status/1285191148965728256