"After returning to M78, I'll go on a new journey. No matter where I go, I'll guard everyone on the Earth. The Earth's future and yours are in your hands. Maybe one day I'll meet you in this broad universe. Goodbye."
- ―Ultraman Max's final farewell, To the Ultra Future
Ultraman Max (ウルトラマンマックス Urutoraman Makkusu) is the titular giant of his series. He was a Civilization Guardian (文明監視員 Bunmei Kanshin-in) sent from Nebula M78, and bonded with Kaito Touma to defend Earth from monsters and alien attacks.
A Civilization Guardian, Ultraman Max's job was to study developing civilizations and help devise a way for the various species of the universe to co-exist. His later mission was the planet Earth which was facing a crisis brought about by man's folly. However, it was stated that Max's first arrival on said planet dated way back in the distant past.
Max observed Earth and witnessed the bravery of a native youth named Kaito Touma. Rather than leaving him to a cruel fate, Max merged with him and allowed them both to protect the people of Earth. After saving Kaito, Max began to fight monsters from Earth's past and invaders from space that wanted the destruction of either humans to have the planet for themselves, with DASH fighting alongside him.
During his battle against Zetton, Max was being severely beaten by the legendary monster and would have died if not for the appearance of Ultraman Xenon, a fellow member of the Inter Galactic Defense Force. During that battle, Max gained the Max Galaxy, a multi-purpose device that saved Max many times afterward and be used to destroy his old enemy Gilfas.
Months later after stopping numerous monsters and invaders, the Delos People rose up to threaten the surface people of Earth. Max could not interfere because it was against the laws of his home world of the Land of Light to interfere with wars between native civilizations. However, Kaito stopped any such conflict, while also saving Mizuki from a near-death experience, by making Delos change his mind and call off the war, they both agreed that neither side had actually wished for a conflict.
The people of Delos requested Max to stop their now rogue defense system, allowing Max to attack their superweapon Giga Berserke. However, between rising to the surface and flying to battle, Max had little time to fight. Max lost to Giga Berserke and turned to stone after separating Kaito from his body. Unwilling to surrender, DASH revived the hero by recharging the Max Galaxy, which Kaito merged with and flew to Max to again merge with him one last time. After a short assault, Max destroyed Giga Berserke and left Earth with Xenon to return back home to Nebula M78.
Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends The Movie
After Ultraman Belial was freed, he returned to the Land of Light. Upon arriving, he showed that Ultraman Taro was defeated by him. After the Ultramen witnessed this, all of the Inter Galactic Defense Force's warriors charged at Belial. Max was the first one to attack but was defeated by Belial after receiving a few hits from the Giga Battle Nizer. Even after all the long battle, they were all defeated by Belial, and who then took the Plasma Spark, all the Land of Light was frozen, along with every Ultra. After Ultraman Zero defeated Belial and returned the Plasma Spark, all of the planet's people were revived. Shortly afterward every Ultra went to listen to Ultraman King's speech.
Ultraman Zero The Movie: Super Deciding Fight! The Belial Galactic Empire
Ultraman Max returns in this film with a very minimal role. When Zero is leaving the Land of Light, every Ultra gives him energy and power, among them Ultraman Max and Xenon are seen. Later, after Belial sent his Darklops army to the Land of Light, every member of the Inter Galactic Defense Force went and fought against his army, destroying it in the end. Ultraman Max as a member of the Defense Force, was also in the field of battle.
Ultra Galaxy Fight: The Absolute Conspiracy
Ultraman Max and Ultraman Ribut were deployed to Planet Mikarito to investigate the planet's unusually accelerated aging. While exploring the planet's caverns, the two Ultras came across the egg of a Maga-Orochi, which Max deduced to be the source of the damage to the planet. Suddenly, a Hellberus appeared, and the two Ultras teamed up against the monster, holding the upper hand, until Alien Sran arrived and ambushed the duo. After overpowering both Ultras, Sran infected Max with Gudis Cells, severely weakening the Ultra and allowing the Maga-Orochi egg to grab hold of Max and begin draining his energy. As Sran gloated that Max would soon turn into an 'ugly monster' and become Maga-Orochi's source for the energy it needed to hatch, Max urged Ribut to escape and report back to the Inter Galactic Defense Force with information about what happened, before falling unconscious. After arriving on the Land of Light, Ribut informed Zoffy, Taro and Hikari about what he had seen. Through analysis of Max's condition, Hikari realized that though Max was attempting to focus his Inner Light to fight the Gudis Cell infection, at the rate the cells were infecting his body, he would succumb to the infection within three days. Hikari and fellow scientist Sora, Ribut's childhood friend, set off to begin developing artificial antibodies to treat Max's infection, while Taro instructed Ribut to journey to Planet K76, a planet often used as a training ground, so that he could become strong enough to help rescue Max in an expedition to Mikarito that was planned to take place three days later.
On the day of the expedition, the infection had progressed to the point that one of Max's arms had become mutated by the cells, and he had become brainwashed by the effects of his sickness. When Ultraman Ribut, Great and Powered arrived at Mikarito, the Maga-Orochi egg released Max to fight the three Ultras. While Great and Powered dealt with Alien Sran and Hellberus respectively, Ribut managed to isolate the Gudis cells from Max after injecting him with the Gudis Vaccine.
Though Max was seriously weakened by his ordeal, he was still prepared to fight Maga-Orochi, though the odds of victory seemed slim. However, just in the nick of time, Max was given the Max Galaxy, which recharged his energy, and Xenon arrived! The three Ultras then proceeded to tag-team and defeat Maga-Orochi, whose powers had been enhanced by the Gudis cells. Max returned to the Land of Light afterward, where Zoffy discussed about the presence of Absolute Tartarus.
Ultraman Max was seen to have participated in the Dark Spark War. But in the middle of the battle, a powerful villain known as Dark Lugiel, using the power of the Dark Spark to transformed all Ultras, aliens, and monsters into Spark Dolls. It fell to Earth with the other Spark Dolls. The location of Max's doll is unknown but nonetheless after Dark Lugiel's defeat by Ultraman Ginga, Max was restored to his original appearance and with other victims of Dark Lugiel, return to their homes.
Ultraman Ginga S The Movie: Showdown! The 10 Ultra Warriors!
"Earth's future shall be grasped by the humans themselves!"
- ―Ultraman Max
Ultraman Max was captured along with the Heisei Ultras by Arena and Etelgar. He would later fight together with Nexus, Mebius, Zero, Cosmos, and Ginga Victory in Etelgar's Space-time Castle. After Nexus left behind to fight the Dark Mephisto's Eteldummy on the first floor, the group met another resistance on the second floor in the form of Alien Sran, Max's old enemy. As Max faces his old foe, his comrades race upstairs to the third floor.
"You understand how difficult it is to have faith in others now. But in spite of that, I want you to remember to always have faith in others. Having faith in others and responding to that faith is what creates real strength. That's what you two did today."
- ―Max, in Kaito's form, to Ultraman X and Daichi Oozora, X in Peril
After knowing that an Alien Sran named Quila wanted revenge on him for killing one of his brethren, Max went to an alternate Earth, taking the form of Kaito and exposed Quila as the villain he was to Xio, the attack team of that world. However, the Ultraman of the world, Ultraman X, was battling with Quila's Zetton at this time, and X fell into Quila's trap, his consciousness slowly being overtaken by the Zetton Armor that Quila had tricked X to wear. Max transformed back to his Ultra form to save a mother and daughter from a failing building, then joined the fight to help X. However he was eventually outnumbered by Zetton, a controlled X and even Quila. Eventually, Daichi Oozora managed to rid the Zetton Armor's malicious programming, and X regained consciousness and protected Max. Max finished off Quila with Galaxy Cannon while X destroyed Zetton. Meeting Daichi and X in the form of Kaito, Max gifted them a portion of his power in a form of a Type U Cyber Card and then returned to his own universe.
Ultraman X The Movie: Here He Comes! Our Ultraman
In this film, Max is seen battling a Tsurugi Demaaga in Geneva, Switzerland and ended up killing him with his Maxium Cannon after being empowered by Ultraman Exceed X Beta Spark Armor's Cyber Wings. After they said thanks to X, Tiga, and Ultraman, Max left Earth with the other Cyber Card Ultramen.
- Height: 48 m
- Weight: 37,000 t
- Age: 7,800 years old (equivalent to late 20s in human age)
- Home World: Land of Light, Nebula M78
- Maximum Flight Speed: Mach 9.99
- Maximum Running Speed: Mach 7
- Maximum Underwater Speed: Mach 5
- Maximum Underground Speed: Mach 4
- Maximum Jumping Height: 750 m
- Arm Strength: 90,000 t
- Grip Strength: 80,000 t (80 kg when human size)
- Maxium Sword (マクシウムソード Makushiumu Sōdo): The boomerang weapon on Max's head, it is similar to the Eye Slugger. Like Ultraseven, Max can throw the sharp crest atop his head, capable of slicing through most known materials, it is controlled telekinetically, but unlike Ultraseven's, his blade doesn't completely detach from his head.
- Eyes: Max can see great distances and in the dark.
- Breast Armor (ブレストアーマー Buresuto Āmā): Max has protector armor on his chest, shoulders and upper back. They can store up natural energy to empower himself.
- Power Timer (パワータイマー Pawā Taimā): Max's Color Timer.
- Ultra Armor: Max's body is resistant to lasers and fire, but like any Ultra from M78, it is weak to the cold.
- Shine Orb (シャインオーブ Shain Ōbu): Max's forehead crystal, it absorbs and releases energy from space and nature. It can act as a radar or sensor.
When needing to transform, Kaito pulls out the Max Spark, which glistens with light and places the Max Spark on his left forearm. Afterwards, the Protectors and Color Timer of Max would appear on Kaito with the rest of Max's body forming over him. He then grows to giant size.
- Maxium Cannon (マクシウムカノン Makushiumu Kanon): Max raises the Max Spark on his left hand gathering particles and fires a left-handed "L" style beam. It destroys targets on a molecular level.
- Powered Up Maxium Cannon: A stronger version of the Maxium Cannon that is influenced by Crossover Formation.
- High Speed Rotation Beam (高速回転光線 Kōsoku Kaiten Kōsen): Max can jump into the air, curl up, an spin fast enough to appear as a red ball of light, he can then up to fire three energy beams at once that will be homed in on the enemies. According to Kaito, it was made in desperation by an amnesiac Max.
- Dark Beam: While infected with the Gudis cells, Max was able to fire a blue beam from his mutated arm.
- Max Punch (マックスパンチ Makkusu Panchi): A basic punch attack.
- Max Crusher (マックスクラッシャー Makkusu Kurasshā): Also known as the 'Illusion left', an uppercut using the left hand. The presence of the Max Spark increases power to be greater than a normal punch.
- Max Chop (マックスチョップ Makkusu Choppu): Chops used repeatedly to pinpoint the enemy's weaknesses.
- Max Kick (マックスキック Makkusu Kikku): A front or side kick.
- Max Spin Kick (マックススピンキック Makkusu Supin Kikku): A kick performed while the body is rotating quickly.
- Max Flying Kick (マックス・フライングキック Makkusu Furaingu Kikku): A kick were the momentum of falling is used to hit the enemy.
- Max Satellite Kick (マックス・サテライトキック Makkusu Sateraito Kikku): Max moves at high speed and disappears from sight before hitting the enemy with a dive from above with a kick.
- Max Knee Impulse (マックスニーインパルス Makkusu Nī Inparusu): A standard knee blow plunged into the enemy's body.
- Max Power (マックスパワー Makkusu Pawā): Max grabs the opponent's arms and twists with herculean strength.
- Headlock (ヘッドロック Heddorokku): A basic headlock to stop the enemies movements.
- Max Swing (マックススウィング Makkusu Suuingu): A skill to lift the enemy and throw them 300 meters or more.
- Max Shoot (マックスシュート Makkusu Shūto): Grabs the tail of the enemy and throws them.
- Max Body Spin (マックスボディスピン Makkusu Bodi Supin): Max rotates his entire body at high speed to free himself from traps.
- Body Spark: Max can discharge energy from his whole body.
- Comet Dash (コメットダッシュ Kometto Dasshu): Max can accelerate to blinding speeds at will.
- Ultra Willpower (ウルトラ念力 Urutora Nenriki): Max can move things with his mind, usually with an arm outstretched.
- Max Barrier (マックスバリヤー Makkusu Bariyā): Max can create the curtain style barrier used by the Original Ultraman and many other M78 warriors.
- Spark Shield (スパークシールド Supāku Shīrudo): Max can create a circular shield of swirling energy with his hands to stop and redirect attacks. He can do this with one or both hands.
- Max Typhoon (マックスタイフーン Makkusu Taifūn): Max creates a powerful typhoon that can rip an enemy to shreds.
- Size Change: Max can take on a size anywhere from a human size to his proper giant height, he can also increase his size to as big as 300 meters but this will lower his time to just under a minute.
- Purifying Beam (浄化光線 Jōka Kōsen): An beam that can calm a monster's anger.
- Maxium Reverse (マクシウムリバース Makushiumu Ribāsu): Max can release a golden light from the Max Spark.
- Icing Wave (アイシングウェーブ Aishingu Uēbu): Max can generate a blue wave of energy to put out flames.
- Cloning Ability (分身能力 Bunshin Nōryoku): Max can create multiple duplicates of himself.
- Powered Tornado (パワードトルネード Pawādo Torunēdo): Max spins at high speeds while radiating energy to destroy a monster from the inside.
- Travel Sphere: Like most Ultras, Max uses a transport sphere to travel the universe, it was his method of transport when he first arrived on Earth.
- Crossover Formation (クロスオーバーフォーメーション Kurosuōbā Fōmēshon): A momentary power boost that coats the user in a golden aura.
- Power Endowment: Max can donate his power to the Ultra Fusion Brace which allows Ginga Victory to use the Maximum Cannon.
- Maxium Sword (マクシウムソード Makushiumu Sōdo): The boomerang-like weapon that is stored in Max's head crest.
- Sword Slash (ソードスラッシュ Sōdo Surasshu): Max jumps and slices the enemy in half using the Maxium Sword.
- Maxium Sword Cloning Shoot (マクシウムソード分身シュート Makushiumu Sōdo Bunshin Shūto): Max can multiply his Maxium Sword into many copies, decimating the opponent.
- Max Galaxy (マックスギャラクシー Makkusu Gyarakushī): A weapon given to him by Ultraman Xenon to fight against Zetton. Since then, it has been used frequently in battle.
- Energy Slash: An energy slash from the Max Galaxy.
- Galaxy Cannon (ギャラクシーカノン Gyarakushī Kanon): A deadly ray from the Max Galaxy, more powerful than the Maxium Cannon. Can destroy monsters in one shot.
- Barrier Field (バリアフィールド Baria Fīrudo): An energy beam from the Max Galaxy that erects a powerful shield, used to disable King Joe, and contain an explosion from Red King. Can also be used to restrict the opponent's movement.
- Galaxy Sword (ギャラクシーソード Gyarakushī Sōdo): A blade of energy conjured from the Max Galaxy.
- Galaxy Sword Maximum Power (ギャラクシーソード最大パワー Gyarakushī Sōdo Saidai Pawā): In the final episode, as Max gains enough power to maintain his gigantic proportions, he is also able to transmit this power to the Max Galaxy and therefore causing the Galaxy Sword to elongate outside of Earth's atmosphere.
- Solar Power: The Max Galaxy is able to deliver solar power to its user. In episode 39, the Max Galaxy is used to revive Max after using up his energy in his battle with Giga Berserke.
Ultraman Max reappears in Ultraman Retsuden episode 66 "Bond shine! Nexus, Max & Mebius!".
- Ultraman Max's name comes from the word "Maximum".
- Names proposed prior to settling Ultraman Max during series' development included Ultraman Phoenix, Ultraman Wing, and Ultraman Xenon.
- Ultraman Max's voice actor, Kazuya Nakai, has also voiced Ultraseven in Ultraman World. Coincidentally, Max's design derives from Seven's archetype and by default Ultraseven 21 (who was based on Ultraseven), but with elements attributed with the original Ultraman.
- Ultraman Max is the second good Ultra whose signature Ultra Beam is fired from his left forearm instead of his right, with Ultraman Zearth being the first.
- Max's Power Timer sound is a slowed down of Ultraman Tiga's Color Timer sound. However in Ultra Galaxy Fight: The Absolute Conspiracy, his Power Timer sounds use Ultraman Blu's Color Timer sounds instead. It was later changed back to Tiga's Color Timer sound in the full episode version.
- Max's eye color is noticeably more yellow in current media.