|This article is incompatible with the Visual Editor. Please edit with the source editor instead.|
Ultraman King (ウルトラマンキング Urutoraman Kingu) is one of the oldest and most powerful Ultras in the history of the Ultraman Series, existing before even the construction of the Plasma Spark that turned the Residents of the Land of Light into Ultras. With his age, knowledge and miraculous powers, King is a greatly revered figure in the World of the Land of Light, and perhaps throughout the Multiverse.
Despite the name, he is not the king of the Land of Light and he observes the events of the universe (and beyond) while meditating on a planet where only he lives. "King" is also not his original name, as he stated that is the name humanity gave him and that he has had many from many races across the universe.
A legendary Ultraman from the Land of Light, King existed even before the Plasma Spark. He is extremely powerful in the appearances he has made, showing he is able to bring Ultraman Leo back to life after he'd been sawed to pieces by Black Directive without any effort. His age was revealed to be 300,000 years in the 2003 movie New Century 2003 Ultraman Legend: THE KING'S JUBILEE, but the chronological order of this work is unclear.
He usually lives alone on an unmanned planet, King Star. Also, in Ultraman Mebius Gaiden: Hikari Saga he lived on the unmanned Planet Twirl and was disguised as a mysterious old man.
"Belial! He who dishonors the Land of Light! You shall pay for your sins in the darkness! Forever!"
- ―King while sealing Belial
During the events of Revolt of Belial, when Belial returns after his merger with Alien Rayblood attacks the Land of Light for revenge, King appears and defeated Belial while also forming the Space Prison to seal him, this act was seen by Mother of Ultra, Father of Ultra, and Zoffy. King then seals the Giga Battle Nizer in the Valley of Flames.
Before his appearance on Earth, King had rescued Astra, whom was held captive by Alien Magma and telling Astra that Leo is still alive. During Ultraman Leo battle with Pressure, King came to Earth and assisted Leo in destroying Alien Pressure, giving him the Ultra Mantle as a weapon that would help him in his battles.
"The key is no concern. You have nearly killed the man, who could become the seventh Ultra Brother. You nearly killed Leo!"
- ―King to Ultra Brothers
When Leo was killed by Alien Bunyo, Ultraman King revived him, then urged Leo on to continue his desperate defense of Planet Earth. He then proceeded to observe Leo's final battle against Black End alongside Seven from the Land of Light.
Ultraman: Great Monster Decisive Battle
Most likely in an alternate universe, Ultraman King gave permission to send Ultraman to Earth.
Ultraman Mebius Gaiden: Hikari Saga
Ultraman Hikari searched for power to save Arb, and heard it would be granted to him by a powerful being, who was revealed to be Ultraman King. King gave him the Knight Brace, because his heart was pure. He later warned Hikari not to fight on Arb because of his anger, but Hikari disobeyed, and hence gained the Hunter Knight Tsurugi armor from a combination of the dying crystals of Arb and his own rage.
Ultraman Mebius Gaiden: Armored Darkness
Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends The Movie
Ultraman King is seen watching over Ultraman Zero's training with Ultraman Leo along with Astra. It was also Ultraman King who explained to Zero the truth of his "exile" and that his father is Ultraseven. When Seven’s eye slugger was sent as an S.O.S., Ultraman King sent Zero and the Leo Brothers to the battle. Later, after Belial is defeated by Zero, he gives a speech to all of the assembled Ultras in the Land of Light.
Ultraman Zero The Movie: Super Deciding Fight! The Belial Galactic Empire
Despite not making a major appearance, he briefly appeared in the end of the movie, returning to the Land of Light along with the Space Garrison after Belial's army have been defeated.
While the Ultras fought various evil aliens and monsters in what would be known as the Dark Spark War, King was one of the few Ultras seemingly absent. King is one of the Ultras whose fate in the war and its aftermath is unknown, as there has been no appearance of his Spark Doll. Regardless, with Lugiel's defeat all the Spark Dolls were free of their curse and returned from whence they came.
Ultraman Ginga S The Movie: Showdown! The 10 Ultra Warriors!
Despite not making a real appearance in this movie, he was seen in a flashback along with Ultraman Leo and Astra. However, sometime before the movie, Ultraman King created the Ultra Fusion Brace. He entrusted it to Zero to go to Earth in order to pass it to Hikaru.
Ultra Fight Victory
Sensing the revival of an ancient evil, King called Ace, Hikari, and the Leo Brothers, to undertake missions to stop this event. Hikari was tasked with going to Earth and protecting the Victorium Core from Yapool, the Leo brothers were sent to the planet where Juda was reviving, and Ace was sent to rescue Ultraman Ginga from Ace Killer.
"The Universe was almost destroyed once. The one who saved it was an old guy named Ultraman King. The Universe was like your body, on the verge of death. We Ultramen can fuse our bodies with someone to heal them. But the whole Universe... It was just too big. It wasn't destroyed, but Old Man King is now dispersed throughout the entire cosmos. You can call out to him, but there's no response."
- ―Zero as he recounted the events of Crisis Impact.
19 years prior, King responded to the Toba family's desire for their unborn child's health. King healed the unborn child allowing Laiha to be born, but also causing her to develop the symptoms of a Little Star bearer earlier than the events of the Childhood Radiation spread. King appeared at the end of the war with Belial, when the evil Ultra triggered Crisis Impact and used his powers to bond with the entire universe to undo the damage. The essence of Ultraman King spread across the universe as Childhood Radiation, at the cost of his consciousness being too scattered to be perceived by any other Ultra Warriors. In order to activate the Ultra Capsules and part of a long-term of raising Ultraman Geed, Kei Fukuide dispersed the Carellen Element across the Earth, magnetizing the Childhood Radiation into Earth inhabitants as Little Stars.
Although Laiha's Little Star was repressed from the trauma of losing her parents, it resurfaced and allows her to perceive King's voice at occasional moments, such as stopping her from killing Kei and warning her of Belial's arrival. After Geed was absorbed by Chimeraberus, Laiha went to her birth hospital, enabling a full contact with the Ultra and obtain his help in rescuing Geed/Riku from Chimerberus. Through Laiha's prayer, her Little Star was harvested by Riku as King Capsule, allowing him to assume Royal Mega-Master and put an end to his father.
"My body has been restored, and the universe's wounds have healed. From now on, this planet's future is in the hands of you two."
- ―King's words to Riku and Laiha
When Belial resumed Atrocious and begin absorbing King's Childhood Radiation, this causes the stability of the universe to be disrupted. Through Geed/Riku's courage and determination, King summoned copies of Geed's other forms and allowing him to defeat Belial Atrocious. After Belial's death, King's body was finally restored as the universe no longer needed a host to remain stable. Before departing Earth along with Father of Ultra, King entrusted the future of the Earth to Laiha and Riku, and noted Geed has more potential in himself.
- Height: 58 m
- Weight: 56,000 t
- Age: 300,000 years old
- Home World: Land of Light in Nebula M78, King Star
- Maximum Flight Speed: Mach 20
- Maximum Running Speed: Mach 3
- Maximum Jumping Height: 500 m
- Arm Strength: 100,000 t
- King Top (キングトップ Kingu Toppu): The small sphere on King's crown-like crest, it grants him omniscience to the universes' events.
- Red Eyes: King's red eyes have sight around ten thousand times better than those of normal Ultras. They instantly see through disguises.
- Beard: Facial hair begins to grow on Ultras of at least 40,000 years of age.
- Gemstones: King possesses two red gemstones on his body, the first of which appears to glow at certain times.
- Great Protector (グレートプロテクター Gurēto Purotekutā): The armor on King's chest.
- Ultra Great Medal (ウルトラ大勲章 Urutora Dai Kunshō): The belt on King's waist that bears his symbol.
- Teleportation (テレポーテーション Terepōtēshon): Ultraman King can teleport to any place he wishes by sheer will. In Geed, he teleported away in swirls of gold energy.
- Natural Disaster Ability (天変地異の術 Tenpenchii No Jutsu): Ultraman King can cause lightning, blizzards, and other events with a snap of his fingers.
- Item Creation: King can create items like the Knight Brace and Ultra Fusion Brace.
- Telekinesis: He can defeat his enemies without touching them. He just uses telekinesis. This what he used to imprison Belial, creating the Space Prison out of rubble from all over the Land of Light.
- Omnipotence: Ultraman King is said to be all-powerful and undefeatable. He is implied to be capable of doing anything, including the impossible.
- Childhood Radiation (幼年期放射 Yōnen-ki Hōsha): When King releases gold particles from one of his jewels, King can merge with the universe to undo and reverse the damage Belial caused during the Crisis Impact. This is later known as Childhood Radiation and revealed to be King's own essences that circulated around the universe.
- Consciousness Transfer: King uses this to transfer Laiha's consciousness to save Riku from Belial's evil influence.
- Life Force Restoration: Although not shown, King had mentioned that he restored the fading life force of Laiha when she was young.
- Energy Shield: A golden energy shield that King used to protect Laiha from Belial's Claw Lightning.
- King Hammer (キングハンマー Kingu Hanmā): Ultraman King can shrink or grow opponents by shaking his hammer in a whacking fashion. His hammer can also be used as a physical weapon.
- Ultra Mantle (ウルトラマント Urutora Manto): Ultraman King's cape can conjure up objects and stop/fizzle out incoming projectile attacks with the item. This item was given to Leo, but was later returned to him.
- King Flasher (キングフラッシャー Kingu Furasshā): Ultraman King can fire a bolt of energy, capable of making explosions as large as he is, from his hands.
- Baptism Ray (洗礼光線 Senrei Kōsen): King can emit red energy arrows from the red orbs on his chest. This was used to reveal Alien Babarue's true form.
- King Spark (キングスパーク Kingu Supāku): This technique called down lightning from a flash of light, it was used to snap the Ultra Key in half and stop Alien Babarue.
- King Reconstruction Ray (キング再生光線 Kingu Saisei Kōsen): Ultraman King can fire a blue beam from his hands, which can resurrect other Ultras. King used this technique to revive Leo after he was killed and brutally dismembered by Alien Bunyo.
- King Shot (キングショット Kingu Shotto): A beam originally only seen in games, the hand position is the same as the Specium Ray but it is stronger. A version of this was used to seal the Giga Battle Nizer in the Valley of Fire, it does not resemble the game version.
- Energy Slash: King can fire a yellow crescent slash, used against Belial and disarmed him with the Giga Battle Nizer.
- King is:
- The first official Ultra to have full facial hair, he has a beard whereas Father of Ultra has only sideburns. Ultraman Chuck who is partially designed after him also has a full beard.
- The first Ultra whose eyes are a color other than yellowish.
- Ultraman King is the first to sport colors other than red or silver. He has purple markings and gold jewelry.
- Despite being supposedly nigh-omnipotent and all-powerful, King is unable to break the Magmatic Chain around Astra's thigh, making him have to wear it for the rest of his life.
- A young King appeared in the cartoon Andro Melos under the name 'Pico'.
- Ultraman King's first voice actor Motomu Kiyokawa also voiced Alien Babarue in the Leo and Mebius incarnation.
- Several of King's voice actors had their own history in taking the character themselves:
- Former Prime Minister of Japan Junichiro Koizumi mentioned that he was urged by his son to take up the role.
- As for Nobuyuki Hiyama, he was offered the role by the executives but seeing himself not worth of the offer, he instead choose to take it by audition, which he passed anyway.
- He was given the name "Uncle Ultraman" in Space Warriors 2000.
- Ultraman King's grunts are low-pitched version of Ultraman's produced by Masao Nakasone. His grunts are the exact same ones used for Father of Ultra and Zoffy in Ultraman Fighting Evolution 3.
- Ultraman King was the subject of controversy in Malaysia due to him being described as "Allah" in a Malay-language book called Ultraman the Ultra Power, which was not authorized by Tsuburaya Productions. Said book was banned in the country because it "can cause confusion to Muslim children who read it". The book was published by Resign Publications (which used a fake business address) and printed by Network Printers; neither of which had the proper permits to produce the book. It was later learned that the contents of the book were machine translated, with the word "God" being translated into "Allah".
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20190410171321/https://m-78.jp/50th/trivia/
- ↑ https://m-78.jp/ultraheros/astra/
- ↑ https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2014/03/06/ultraman-the-ultra-power/
- ↑ https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2014/03/07/use-of-allah-in-ultraman-comic-main-reason-for-ban
- ↑ https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2014/03/08/book-banned-but-ultraman-can-power-on-ministry-usage-of-word-allah-can-confuse-kids