Ultraman Gruebe (ウルトラマングルーブ Urutoraman Gurūbu) is a Super Ultraman born from the fusion of Ultraman Rosso, Ultraman Blu, and Ultrawoman Grigio. He first appears in Ultraman R/B The Movie: Select! The Crystal of Bond.
- 1 Conception
- 2 History
- 3 Profile
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Note
- 7 References
Similar to how "R/B", which is pronounced "Ruebe" (ルーブ), is derived from the initials of Rosso and Blu, Gruebe (グルーブ) follows the same naming convention with Grigio ("G") added.
Ultraman Gruebe was designed by Masayuki Gotoh, who incorporated all the colors of Rosso, Blu and Grigio into a singular appearance to contrast Ruebe's gold and silver color. To contrast with Ruebe as well, the R/B Kourin is placed at the back of his torso.
In addition to its design, Gruebe's suit already existed at the time of filming, but the filming crew decided to portray the Ultra as an entirely CGI figure. Scenes involving the Ultra crashing to a building was made by using a green log and the entire background of the green screen. Gruebe's CGI figure is said by Masayuki Gotoh to represent the image of a foreigner wearing an Ultraman suit.
Ultraman R/B The Movie: Select! The Crystal of Bond
When Ultraman Tregear appeared to back up Snake Darkness, everyone was easily overpowered. Refusing to give up, the Minato siblings - Katsumi, Isami, and Asahi fused into Gruebe, activating the Makoto Crystal’s power through their family ties. Gruebe was joined by Riku, who transformed into Ultraman Geed Ultimate Final once more. Gruebe and Geed then alternated between fighting Tregear and Snake Darkness, and were eventually fighting on par with them. Finally, Gruebe destroyed Snake Darkness via the Gruebing Beam and freed Yukio Toi from the dark influence.
Ultra Galaxy Fight: New Generation Heroes
"It's still too early to celebrate. There is a mastermind behind all this. He's the one who kidnapped Grigio to prevent you guys from becoming Ultraman Gruebe."
"But, if it's someone who knows about the existence of Gruebe..."
- ―Zero and Geed.
The Minato brothers, aka. Rosso and Blu were involved into the fight against the League of Darkness due to Grigio's kidnapping by Ultra Dark-Killer. In the added scene of the director's cut of the full movie, a silhouetted Tregear approached the imprisoned Zero and Grigio to confirm his involvement in the kidnapping so as to prevent Gruebe's formation, as well as the Ultrawoman being a carrier of a massive light energy.
Ultraman Tregear revives Ultra Dark-Killer and Ultraman Zero Darkness after their defeat at the hands of Ultraman Ruebe, with the former growing to giant size and going berserk due to his overflowing power. The Minato siblings join the New Generation Heroes to fight Ultra Dark-Killer by fusing into Ultraman Gruebe. After the New Generation Heroes assault Dark-Killer, Ultraman Taro arrives and advises them to lend their power to the Strium Brace. Upon doing so, Ginga performs the New Generation Dynamite and delivered the finishing blow towards Dark-Killer, destroying him and the Dark Palace. The siblings separate upon the villain's defeat. Zero relayed the reason behind Grigio's kidnapping and Tregear appeared to confirm his involvement, setting up events leading to the opening of Ultraman Taiga.
Ultraman Taiga The Movie: New Generation Climax
Once the other New Generation Heroes regain their powers, they face off against Tregear, the Grimdo-possessed Taro and Tregear's monsters, with Rosso and Blu fighting against Gorothunder. After their opponents receive power ups from Grimdo, Rosso and Blu initially thought of forming Ruebe until Grigio came along and the three fuse into Ultraman Gruebe to finish off Gorothunder. Initially being trounced by Grimdo after it had absorbed Tregear, the New Generation Heroes fused with Taiga into Ultraman Reiga and defeat Grimdo. The New Generation Heroes give their parting words to the Tri-Squad and Hiroyuki and return to their home worlds.
Ultra Galaxy Fight: The Destined Crossroad
- Height: 53 m
- Weight: 47,000 t
- Maximum Flight Speed: Mach 10
- Maximum Running Speed: Mach 6
- Maximum Underwater Speed: Mach 5
- Maximum Underground Speed: Mach 4
- Maximum Jumping Height: 1500 m
- Arm Strength: 135,000 t
- Grip Strength: 99,000 t
- Time Limit: 3 minutes
- Gruebe Signal (グルーブシグナル Gurūbu Shigunaru): Gruebe possesses a circular-shaped Color Timer.
- Ultra Armor: The standard Ultra Armor, which is more durable than that of Ruebe, capable of taking in many attacks without any signs of damage.
- Protectors (プロテクター Purotekutā): Like his components, Gruebe sports protectors covering his chest area.
- Crystals: Gruebe possesses small crystals on his chest, arms, and legs.
- Breast Shiner (ブレストシャイナー Buresuto Shainā): Specifically referring to the crystals on his chest, they are used to fire the Delta Breast Lancer.
- Golden Ring: A golden ring on Gruebe's back, it is where the R/B Kourin is stored.
"Overlap! The Three Souls!"
- ―Transformation announcement w/ Makoto Crystal.
"Enshrined by Reality! Immortal Truth!"
- ―Gruebe's transformation catchphrase
The Minato Siblings join their hands, which summons the Makoto Crystal. Katsumi then presses the side button, opening up the crystal while Isami and Asahi stand by his side, revealing its Kanji and inserts it to his Gyro. He then thrusts the Gyro forward and pulls the handles one last time and places the Gyro on his chest, before the siblings transform into Gruebe.
- Gruebe Reflect (グルーブリフレクト Gurūbu Rifurekuto) (Unused): Gruebe summons a barrier of light.
- Transportation Sphere: Gruebe can create an energy sphere to transport and protect other beings.
- Strength: Gruebe is naturally stronger than Ruebe, being able to easily handle Snake Darkness in a hand-to-hand combat without difficulty.
- Ultra Charge (ウルトラチャージ Urutora Chāji): Gruebe can charge up an ally by donating his light energy.
- R/B Kourin (ルーブコウリン Rūbu Kōrin): Gruebe retains the use of Ruebe's personal weapon.
- Gruebe Vortex Buster (グルーブボルテックバスター Gurūbu Borutekku Basutā): An upgraded version of Ruebe's Ruebe Vortex Buster, using the Makoto Crystal in place of the Kiwami Crystal. Gruebe fires a destructive beam from the R/B Kourin.
- Gruebe Kourin Shot (グルーブコウリンショット Gurūbu Kōrin Shotto): An upgraded version of Ruebe's Ruebe Kourin Shot, using the Makoto Crystal in place of the Kiwami Crystal. Gruebe fires three cutting halos from the R/B Kourin.
- Gruebing Beam (グルービング光線 Gurūbingu Kōsen): Gruebe's Ultra Beam. He fires it from the "+" position when he puts his left hand in a fist. The beam has the miraculous power to save the life of victims trapped inside a Kaiju.
- Delta Breast Lancer (デルタブレストランサー Deruta Buresuto Ransā): Gruebe's secondary energy beam, fired from the crystals on his chest.
- Energy Bullet: Gruebe can fire multicolored energy bullets from his hands.
- Hand Blocking: Gruebe can simply block an energy beam with his bare hands.
- Gruebe Kick (グルーブキック Gurūbu Kikku): A powerful kick attack with destructive force.
- Gruebing Impact (グルービングインパクト Gurubingu Inpakuto): Gruebe can imbue energy into his foot for a more powerful kick. Three times more powerful than Gruebe Kick.
- Gruebe Punch (グルーブパンチ Gurūbu Panchi): A punching attack with strong impact.
- Gruebing Smash (グルービングスマッシュ Gurubingu Sumasshu): Gruebe can imbue energy into his fist for a more powerful punch. Three times more powerful than Gruebe Punch.
- Gruebe Tackle (グルーブタックル Gurūbu Takkuru): An attack with Gruebe's entire body.
- Gruebe Throw (グルーブスロウ Gurūbu Surō): Gruebe is strong enough to lift up Snake Darkness by the tail, and throws it afterward.
- Gruebe Chop (グルーブチョップ Gurūbu Choppu): A chopping attack.
Ultraman R/B The Movie
- All footage of Gruebe in Ultraman R/B The Movie portrays the character fully in CGI.
- The suit makes its first cinematic appearance in Ultra Galaxy Fight: New Generation Heroes.
- The Makoto Crystal toy's box mistakenly spells his signature Ultra Beam as Gruebium Beam (グルービウム光線 Gurūbiumu Kōsen).
- Despite its transformation process being likened to the titular hero of Triple Fighter, Masayuki Gotoh admitted that it was not the case.
- The official English translation of the activation announcements are highly inconsistent: "Let's go with", "Enshrined by", "Element of", "I don".
- Ultraman R/B Super Complete Works ISBN 978-4-09-105164-6 Page 56
- Ultra Tokusatsu Perfect Mook - Ultraman R/B