|This article is incompatible with the Visual Editor. Please edit with the source editor instead.|
"My name is Fuma. I arrive with the wind of the galaxy!"
- ―Fuma's introduction, Requiem of the Wolves
Ultraman Fuma (ウルトラマン
- 1 Conception
- 2 Personality
- 3 History
- 4 Profile
- 5 Trivia
- 6 References
Fuma's name is most likely derived off of the real life ninja(s) known as Fūma Kotarō, which fits Ultraman Fuma's ninja theme. Additionally, fitting of his title, his name written in kanji is "風真", the first character of which translates to "wind".
Fuma is the most playful of the Tri-Squad, as he can be seen goading his enemies to attack him only to outrun them with his speed. Much like Taiga, he also gets enraged when he sees Tregear and will not hesitate to attack him, much to his comrades' dismay. He is also prone to arguing with Taiga, and they seem to have a friendly rivalry. Fuma believes people should be able to say what's on their mind, which is why he yells out the names of his attacks. He can also be manipulative, as shown by the fact that he previously made a living by robbing people who were searching for the Warrior's Peak.
Fuma has the tendency to refer to others as "bro" (兄ちゃん Nii-chan), whether they are friend or enemy.
Becoming an Ultraman
Fuma was born to someone who tried to climb the Warrior's Peak, but gave up halfway. For that, he was called a "loser's son" throughout his entire life. However, his father told him that "All living beings are like containers. If you shove too many things into them, they will break. It is a talent to be able to see how much one can contain". Fuma interpreted this as "people who have no talents should just give up".
A long time ago, Fuma met a monstrous four-armed fish-like alien named Gerg, who approached him to ask for directions to the Warrior's Peak. Fuma brought him along, but explained that most people don't make it to the Warrior's Peak due to them killing each other, despite supposedly having the noble intention of becoming a giant of light to fight for peace. Just at the bottom of the mountain, Fuma tricked Gerg into giving him money to "buy climbing gear", but he simply made his way down along with the money, knowing that at some point Gerg would realize that he was being scammed. A group of bandits stopped him in his tracks, but Gerg went to his defense without Fuma knowing, standing up for him when they called him a "loser's son". Gerg then grew to giant size, scaring off the bandits by throwing a shuriken made of energy from his hands. Gerg shrunk back down and encouraged Fuma, saying that he can become more than just a "loser's son".
Inspired by Gerg, Fuma decided to learn from him, and adopted his ninja techniques, as well making as his "peace sign" gesture for the first time. The pair noticed that for previous warriors to have gained the power of light, they all had to have had something in common, which was their accumulated good deeds. They set up a place in the city where they would do jobs for people, hoping that it would be sufficient for them to be chosen by the Ring of Light. After a while, Gerg decided to climb the peak on his own, but never came back. Eventually, the Interstellar Alliance hired Fuma to track down a monster that was killing hikers. They informed him that the son of the Interstellar Alliance's highest ranking officer was one of the people who came in contact with the monster, and ran away as soon as he saw it.
Having a bad feeling, Fuma found his target, Gerg. Gerg took off his protective gear and they began to fight each other, and Fuma finally understood his father's words, thinking to himself that people can find other ways to live. Suddenly, the Interstellar Alliance officers attacked them both to get rid of them, and Fuma was fatally struck, but he was saved by Gerg, who grew into a giant once more. Believing that the Ring of Light would save his life if he were chosen, Gerg brought the dying Fuma up the Warrior's Peak, telling the Ring of Light of Fuma's good nature and accomplishments. Fuma told Gerg he didn't care if they obtained the power, and that they should feel lucky to have lived their own lives. Just then, another blast was fired by an Interstellar Alliance ship. Fuma survived, having been turned into an Ultraman. He stood there alone, thinking about Gerg, who wanted to prove that even a monster can obtain the power of light. Believing his humanoid form to be an unfair reason for him to be chosen over Gerg, Fuma abandoned his previous form and remained as an Ultra for his life.
Wind and Flowers
The Ring of Light had Fuma perform various deeds as an Ultraman. In his travels, he had seen golden birds with blue eyes, fought against gigantic insects, helped white-haired lovers travel across space, and seen amusement park spaceships. After defeating a monster on one of his travels, he met a plant-like alien girl named Ilia, who was supposedly ill, and had never left the house. However, she had a dream of going into space based on the stories that people would tell her. One day, Fuma secretly brought her on a trip to another planet, implied to be Planet Juran. Much to their horror, the small animals around Ilia suddenly died of poisoning. When they returned, they learned the terrible truth from Ilia's father Balt. He told them that their species' natural scents turn into poisonous gas outside their home world's atmosphere. Feeling guilty for what he had done, Fuma left the planet.
A long time passes and Fuma stops counting the number of missions he has completed. By some chance, somewhere in the universe, he found a picture book titled "Ruler of the Wind", telling the tale of a blue hero who was as fast as the wind. The book also depicted many things that Fuma talked to Ilia about, and his heart was touched, even though he was unsure whether or not Ilia was the author. From then on, he decided to call himself the Ruler of the Wind, hoping that Ilia would hear of it one day.
Fuma met Taiga and Titas when they arrived at Planet O-50 to defend the Warrior’s Peak from aliens who wanted to destroy it. Thus, the Tri-Squad was formed. At some time, they went to Planet Dino to fight against a robot army, and were almost sucked into a black hole.
The Tri-Squad went to a jungle planet to fight against the Alien Gazariya (ガザリヤ星人 Gazariya Seijin), who sent their Dinosaur Tamer Dargen (恐竜調教師ダルゲン Kyōryū Chōkyōshi Darugen) and his Dinosaur Army.
Once, the Tri-Squad visited the Remote Planet Rashuwa (辺境の惑星・ラシュア Henkyō no Wakusei Rashua) after fighting a few monsters together. Seeing the winter-like scenery the planet, along with the people living in peace, Taiga proposed that the Tri-Squad should help them celebrate Christmas, which he learned about from his father. Taiga and Titas took on human forms, but Fuma refused to join in because of his beliefs, stating that he had given up his human form for a reason. Taiga and Titas make presents and were about to deliver them, but were attacked by a hornworm-like Kaiju that emerged from the ground in their imago form. They were hesitant to transform and fight as the presents were likely to be destroyed, but they saved by Fuma. Two more of the Kaiju appeared, and they had no choice but to transform and fight. After the battle was over, they were surprised to see a bright light shining upon them, with a real 'Santa Claus' appearing. By the time they were leaving the planet, the three of them saw lights on the surface forming a giant Christmas tree.
Twelve years ago, Taiga and his team, the Tri-Squad, attempted to fight Ultraman Tregear after the other New Generation Ultras had been defeated. As a gift, the New Generation Ultras gave their light to the Tri-Squad, with Fuma receiving the lights of Ultraman Ginga and Ultraman Victory. Taiga, Titas and Fuma ignored Taro's warning not to fight Tregear and attacked him. Despite being able to strike him a few times, their combined strength was not even close to enough to defeat their opponent. Titas and Fuma were reduced to particles, which enraged Taiga. He charged ahead, but soon shared the fate of his comrades.
Fuma's light was bound to a crystal in a pendant, that had been traded around many times and somehow ended up in the possession of the Villain Guild, but was stolen by Volk. When the Darebolic (MB) was released, the building it was stored in collapsed in an explosion, injuring Volk, who decided to show the pendant over Homare Soya. Fuma's voice unexpectedly speaks to Taiga, and his light flies over to Hiroyuki Kudo, finally reuniting the Tri-Squad. Fuma defeated Darebolic easily but just as he was about to fly away, Tregear showed up to meddle with him, but he eventually left as well.
The Tri-Squad continues to protect the Earth along with Hiroyuki and EGIS.
As a side effect of Taiga using the Kaiju Rings, his soul starts to get flooded with darkness. As a result, some of it is carried over to Hiroyuki, who had been having sudden, violent outbursts. Titas and Fuma notice that Taiga had been getting far more aggressive in his battles. This was actually part of Tregear's plan to turn Taiga to the dark side. Skull Gomora, Tregear took the chance to release the darkness within Taiga, shutting out Hiroyuki, Titas and Fuma in the process. Kirisaki knocks Hiroyuki out using psychic powers. Hiroyuki sees Taiga in the darkness and tries to get him to snap out of it, but Tregear appears and guides him further down the path of darkness, leading him to banish Hiroyuki from inside him.Just after Taiga had fought against
The EGIS members synchronize their brainwaves using devices to reach out to Hiroyuki, who, with the encouragement from his friends, dispels the darkness within himself, while somehow creating the Tri-Squad-let. With Titas and Fuma, they make an attempt to rescue Taiga. Hiroyuki dives into Taiga's Color Timer and clears the darkness inside him. With the Tri-Squad now reunited, Taiga gains a new form, Tri-Strium. With this new power, he defeats Tregear for the first time.
Fuma continued to support the Tri-Squad and EGIS throughout their continuous battles against monster and alien forces. Following Woola's destruction, the Tri-Squad take turns in fighting Tregear as Hiroyuki activated the Quattro Squad Blaster, simultaneously having all members combine their attacks into Tregear and seemingly defeating him when the fallen Ultra rejects a chance of redemption.
Ultraman Taiga The Movie: New Generation Climax
After spending their time on Earth, the Tri-Squad's original bodies were fully repaired, allowing them to separate from Hiroyuki when the time was right. Taiga, Titas and Fuma fought against a Dada's customized Legionoid, after the alien's attempt to steal the Blue Stone of Baradhi was foiled by the EGIS members. Taiga used the Taiga Dynamite Shoot to destroy the robot.
On the way to confronting Kirisaki/Tregear, Taiga, Titas and Fuma suddenly appear and inform Hiroyuki that he no longer had to fight, since their bodies were repaired and could separate from him. Hiroyuki retorted by stating that they were a team and had to face their final battle together, touching Taiga's feelings. Taiga, Titas, Fuma and the New Generation Heroes face off against Taro, Tregear, and the monsters he summoned, with the Tri-Squad taking on Tregear before getting interrupted by Taro. The Tri-Squad fuse into Tri-Strium and clashed with Taro head-on with the Ultra Dynamite, attempting to force out Grimdo's darkness from within. Believing in their bonds, they succeeded at driving out Grimdo from Taro's body. Tregear offered himself to Grimdo, allowing it to devour him and reach its perfect form, and cover the Earth with its mass of chaos. After a futile attempt at fighting Grimdo, even with their greatest powers, the New Generation Heroes fused into Ultraman Reiga via Taiga's Ultra Horns, and managed to defeat Grimdo and Tregear along with it. The Tri-Squad and Taro thank Hiroyuki and EGIS before departing to space.
- Height: 48 m
- Weight: 25,000 t
- Age: 5,000 years old
- Home World: Planet O-50
- Maximum Flight Speed: Mach 15
- Maximum Running Speed: Mach 6
- Maximum Underwater Speed: 200 knots
- Maximum Underground Speed: Mach 3
- Maximum Jumping Height: 900 m
- Arm Strength: 40,000 t
- Grip Strength: 28,000 t
- Ultra Armor: Like other Ultras, Fuma's skin is resistant to things such as explosions, lasers and fire.
- Forehead Crystal: Fuma has a crystal on his forehead.
- Protectors: Fuma has armor across his chest for protection.
- Color Timer:
- Taiga Spark (タイガスパーク Taiga Supāku): Like Taiga and Titas, Fuma wears the Taiga Spark on his right arm.
"Ruler of the Wind, Fuma!"
- ―Pre-transformation call
Hiroyuki slides down the Taiga Spark's Ignition Lever to activate it, takes the Fuma Key Holder and scans it, then raises his hand while shouting his transformation call.
- Travel Sphere: Like other Ultras, Fuma can turn into a ball of light energy to travel long distances.
- Acceleration: Fuma can accelerate so that his movements appear to be blurs.
- God Speed Afterimage (神速残像 Shinsoku Zanzou): Fuma is capable of creating afterimages.
- Holographic Projection: Fuma can create a projection of himself.
- Phantom Smoke Art (幻煙の術 Gen'en no Jutsu) : Fuma can teleport away in a puff of smoke.
- Roaring Wave (轟波動 Gō Hadō): A gust of wind that Fuma blasts from his fingers, used to propel himself in the opposite direction.
- Storming Tornado (嵐風竜巻 Ranpū Tatsumaki): Fuma surrounds himself in a tornado. He can use it to rush at the opponent to trick them into slicing it, only to attack them from somewhere else.
- Barrier: Fuma spins very quickly and forms a tornado around himself, which can protect him from attacks. As a side effect, dust and dirt are thrown at the opponent, disorienting them momentarily.
- Light Wave Shuriken (光波手裏剣 Kō Ha Shuriken): Fuma throws energy shurikens.
- Light Wave Shuriken: Slashing Wave Type (光波手裏剣・斬波の型 Kō Ha Shuriken Zanba no Kata): Fuma can rapidly launch energy arrows from his hands. These can come in several shapes and sizes.
- Polar-Star Light Wave Shuriken (極星光波手裏剣 Kyoku Sei Kō Ha Shuriken): Fuma's finisher attack, where he fires a giant energy shuriken. It can also act as a shield to protect bystanders and split into more shuriken.
- Seven-Stars Light Wave Shuriken (七星光波手裏剣 Shichi Sei Kō Ha Shuriken): After scanning the Ginga-let, Fuma's Polar Star Light Wave Shuriken is enhanced in seven-colored light energy.
- Sharp-Star Light Wave Shuriken (鋭星光波手裏剣 Ei Sei Kō Ha Shuriken): After scanning the Victory-let, Fuma fires a V-shaped arrowhead, capable of slicing an opponent in two. As used against Alien Babarue, it can also be used for a melee attack.
- Slash Sword (
光波剣・ 大蛇Surasshu Sōdo lit. Light Wave Sword Great Snake): Fuma conjures a flexible whip-sword made of energy, which can contract into a more solid form by having all the segments come together.
- Ultra Sonar (
超波動探知Urutora Sonā lit. Ultra Wave Detection): Fuma can use sonar waves to detect enemies, even if they are invisible.
- Cyclone Kick (疾風蹴撃 Shippū Shūgeki): A fast, rotating kick attack.
- Cyclone Light Wave Leg (疾風光波脚 Shippu Kō Ha Kyaku Unused): A kick attack that unleashes an energy wave at the point of impact.
- Strike Smash (
烈蹴撃Sutoraiku Sumasshu lit. Fierce Kick Attack): A rotating kick charged from the Taiga Spark. This attack was the winning entry in Ultraman Festival 2019's move creation contest, and was used during the stage show event before making its way into the TV series.
- Raging Fire Kick (烈火蹴撃 Rekka Shūgeki Unused): An extremely fast straight kick.
- Thunderclap Kick (迅雷蹴撃 Jinrai Shūgeki): A powerful flying kick attack.
- Vertical Dropping Bullet Fist (垂直落下式弾丸拳 Suichoku Rakka-shiki Dangan Ken): Fuma can fly towards an enemy to attack them. This also somehow makes him immune to damage.
- The outer ring of Fuma's Color Timer is based on the Color Timers of Ultraman Rosso and Ultraman Blu, which were in turn taken from the R/B Crystals.
- With Elek and Loto from the The☆Ultraman being debatable, Ultraman Fuma is the first tertiary main Ultra Warrior not to be a villain or to first appear in a movie, Gaiden, or similar special.
- Fuma is the first Ultra who has most of his techniques' names written only in Kanji. He is also the first to have a name that can be written in Kanji. Along with other O-50 Ultras being associated with Kanji words in their motif (Orbcalibur, R/B Crystals), Masayuki Goto said it was done because "it's cool".
- Some of the sounds associated with Fuma's appearances include Orb's "dying" sound and the R/B Slugger's slashing sound effects.
- Fuma finds Grigio cute.
- Fuma said that if he had obtained Photon-Earth's power for himself, he would have named his hypothetical finisher Gold-Star Light Wave Shuriken (金星光波手裏剣 Kin Sei Kōha Shuriken).
- According to scrapped concept art: