"Are you an "extraterrestrial"? Or a human?"
"I am both. It depends on how you see me because I prefer to be in-between."
- ―Hiroko Asami and Shinji Kaminaga (Ultraman).
His name is shortened from the full codename Giant Humanoid Lifeform Ultraman (Provisional) (巨大人型生物ウルトラマン(仮称) Kyodai Hito-gata Seibutsu Urutoraman (Kashō)) assigned by the SSSP, as such, he is also considered as an "Extraterrestrial" (外星人 Gaiseijin) by the group. His real name is Ripia (リピア ).
The first concept art was made in October 3, 2018 by Hideaki Anno, using Ultraman's first suit actor Bin Furuya as a base for the body frame. Wanting the Ultraman's design to live up to Tohl Narita's vision, Anno sought permission from Narita's son, Kairi, to use the 1983 painting Incarnation of Truth, Justice, and Beauty (真実と正義と美の化身 Shinjitsu to Seigi to Bi no Keshin) as a reference.
The final design of Ultraman took various design cues harkening back to its original draft, such as:
- The mask produced by modeler Akira Sasaki, supervised by Narita.
- The body frame being based on Bin Furuya's figure (according to Khara's official Twitter site, only the legs from the original draft made it to the final).
- The lack of a Color Timer, dorsal fin and peepholes in the eyes per Tohl Narita's original intention.
In addition, the design also seemingly takes elements from suits used in the 1966 series, such as the C-type suit's facial features and the B-type suit's slightly pointed feet. The red lines on the body and legs were also made to be more angular than those typically seen in other appearances.
The finalized design was first publicly unveiled in late 2019, at Tsuburaya Convention (Tsubucon). In addition to its modeled figurine (both in white and colored versions), a CGI photo was unveiled as a reference scale of Ultraman to his surroundings. In November 2020, a statue of Ultraman was placed in Sukugawa, Fukushima, the birthplace of Eiji Tsuburaya, in the Sukagawa Tokusatsu Archives Center.
The Spacium Beam used in the movie was animated by Sadao Iizuka, who had worked on the original Ultraman's Spacium Beam, and others.
- Height: 60 m
- Weight: 2,900 t (weight is estimated through his footprint)
- Home World: Star of Light (光の星 Hikari no Hoshi)
- Weakness: Ultraman's time on Earth is limited to three minutes. Once he is approaching said limit, the coloration on his body turns from red to green.
Ultraman transforms into his true form from Shinji Kaminaga, a human that he bonded and impersonated as. "Shinji" does this through the Beta Capsule, wherein he presses the button. During the transformation, Ultraman's translucent red fist surfaces and grabs "Shinji", and rises from human size to his true height as a flash of red light accompanies the transformation.
- Travel Sphere: Ultraman can turn himself into a red sphere of light as a means of travel from outer space.
- Flight: Ultraman is capable of performing an anti-gravity flight by outstretching both of his hands forward.
- Life Force Sharing: Ultraman is able to share his life force with the body of a human, but by doing so, the human he bonded with is put under a comatose state. Should Ultraman sacrifice his entire life to the human in question, then a full resurrection can be achieved.
- Human Disguise: Ultraman is capable of disguising himself as a human, more specifically the one he bonded to, Shinji Kaminaga.
- Electricity Immunity: Ultraman's body has a natural immunity against electrical attacks, as he is able to effortlessly shrugs Neronga's attack with no ill effect.
- Spacium Beam (スペシウム光線 Supeshiumu Kōsen): Ultraman fires a destructive beam of light when he puts his hands in a cross. According to Extraterrestrial #2 Zarab, the Spacium Beam is consist of an energy substance known as Spacium 133 (スペシウム133 Supeshiumu Ichi San San).
- Ultra Slash (ウルトラスラッシュ Urutora Surasshu): Like his original counterpart, Ultraman can form a buzzsaw-like energy disc in his hand and toss it at foes, slicing through monsters with ease. He can also use a giant sized version of the Ultra Slash that splits into many smaller discs upon being thrown.
- Rotation: In a similar manner to his original counterpart's High Spin, Ultraman can spin at high speed in an effort to deflect incoming projectiles, as demonstrated when he used it to shield himself from Zetton's Close-in Weapon System gunfire, though the effect appears to lessen over time, as Ultraman was eventually struck by the projectiles after using the technique for a sustained period.
- Shield: Similar to the original counterpart's Ultra Barrier, Ultraman can generate a transparent, rectangular shield in the air to protect himself from attacks.
- Beta Capsule (ベーターカプセル Bētā Kapuseru): The transformation item for Ultraman to revert to his true form. It also act as a size enlargement device due to the Beta System (ベーターシステム Bētā Shisutemu), hence thanks to modifications provided by SSSP, Ultraman presses it to become larger again and generating a massive black hole to bring down Zetton with him.
Shin Japan Heroes Universe
- Ultraman marks Issey Takahashi's fourth performance in an Ultraman Series, after Mitsuya from Ultraman Cosmos, Tadashi/Shigeo Yajima from Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy, and a guest appearance in the 9th episode of Ultra Zone.