Sheltar (シェルター Sherutā) is a Kaiju that appeared in episode 13 of Ultraman Taro.
Subtitle: Caries Monster (虫歯怪獣 Mushiba Kaijū)
- Height: 48 m
- Weight: 32,000 t
- Origin: Miyazaki waters
Sheltar was a peaceful creature that lived beneath the seas until ZAT launched a new rocket into the ocean that accidentally got lodged in the beast's mouth, causing it great agony. The monster came ashore to try and remove it, but try as it might, the rocket would not move. Realizing how much pain the creature was in, ZAT prepared to remove the rocket, but they accidentally removed its tooth by mistake, driving the poor creature into a pain induced rage, heading for the nearby city. ZAT tried to head it off and stop it from causing any damage but couldn't manage to get its attention as it began destroying everything in its path. As the creature loosed its flames on them, Kentaro decided it was time to bring Ultraman Taro's power into the fray and attacked the creature before rescuing his team mate and his mother. He then attempted the Strium Ray but the creature proved to completely withstand the attack! As the physical battle raged, Taro managed to slam Sheltar to the ground and tied him up with electric wires then pried its jaws open with a metal tower. Finally, Taro managed to kick the rocket from the beast's mouth, only to watch ZAT fire the rocket back into its mouth and detonated it, blowing Sheltar's body to bits.
- Sheltar's suit would later be modified for the monster Birdon.
- Sheltar uses a combination of Gomora's and Gudon's roars.
- Judging by the concept art, Sheltar was ment to be a quadruped.
- He is one of a few peaceful Kaiju that was destroyed with the help of a Ultra.
- Powers and Weapons
- Flames: Sheltar can emit a stream of fire from his mouth.
- Adept Swimmer: Sheltar is capable of living underwater.
- Thick Hide: Sheltar has an extremely thick hide, capable of withstanding Ultraman Taro's Strium Ray with no visible damage.