"You’re not alone. Whenever, forever."
- ―Series catchphrase
|Created by:||Tsuburaya Productions|
|Ending Theme:||youthful beautiful|
|Country Of Origin||Japan|
|Number Of Episodes||12|
|Running Time||Approximately 25 minutes|
|Original Channel||Tokyo MX|
|Original Air Date||6 October 2018|
|Preceded by||Denkou Choujin Gridman|
You’re not alone. Whenever, forever.
Yuta Hibiki is a first-year student in high school living in Tsutsujidai. One day, he woke up without his memories.
Yuta later meets "Hyper Agent Gridman" who was inside an old computer.
Gridman told him to fulfill his purpose. Yuta's quest to understand the meaning behind those words and to find his memories began.
While all of this was sudden, Yuta had helpful assistance from his classmates, Sho Utsumi, Rikka Takarada, and Akane Shinjo, but...
Those peaceful days were destroyed mercilessly by a monster that suddenly appeared.
- Illusion Monster
- Decisive Battle
As a follow up to each episode, an original Voice Drama is uploaded to Tsuburaya Productions' YouTube channel, for a duration of one week though from the eight episode and onward, they are uploaded to Pony Canyon's channel instead. They normally contain dialogue that foreshadows certain things in the next episode and the overall plot.
- Yuta Hibiki (響裕太 Hibiki Yūta): Yuya Hirose (広瀬 裕也 Hirose Yūya) (Japanese)/Brandon McInnis (Funimation Dub)
- Gridman (グリッドマン Guriddoman): Hikaru Midorikawa (緑川 光 Midorikawa Hikaru) (Japanese)/Robert McCollum (Funimation Dub)
- Sho Utsumi (内海 将 Utsumi Shō): Soma Saito (斉藤 壮馬 Saitō Sōma) (Japanese)/Greg Ayres (Funimation Dub)
- Rikka Takarada (宝多六花 Takarada Rikka): Yume Miyamoto (宮本 侑芽 Miyamoto Yume) (Japanese)/Jill Harris (Funimation Dub)
- Akane Shinjo (新条 アカネ Shinjō Akane): Reina Ueda (上田 麗奈 Ueda Reina) (Japanese)/Lindsay Seidel (Funimation Dub)
- Samurai・Calibur (サムライ・キャリバー Samurai Kyaribā): Ryosuke Takahashi (高橋良輔 Takahashi Ryōsuke) (Japanese)/Ian Sinclair (Funimation Dub)
- Max (マックス Makkusu): Katsuyuki Konishi (小西克幸 Konishi Katsuyuki) (Japanese)/Cris George (Funimation Dub)
- Vit (ヴィット Vitto): Masaya Matsukaze (松風雅也 Matsukaze Masaya) (Japanese)/Chris Burnett (Funimation Dub)
- Borr (ボラー Borā): Aoi Yuki (悠木碧 Yūki Aoi) (Japanese)/Apphia Yu (Funimation Dub)
- Anti (アンチ Anchi)/Gridknight (グリッドナイト Guriddo Naito): Kenichi Suzumura (鈴村健一 Suzumura Ken'ichi) (Japanese)/Stephen Fu (Funimation Dub)
- Alexis・Kerib (アレクシス・ケリヴ Arekushisu Kerivu): Tetsu Inada (稲田徹 Inada Tetsu) (Japanese)/Barry Yandell (Funimation Dub)
- Rikka's Mother (六花ママ Rikka Mama): Mayumi Shintani (新谷真弓 Shintani Mayumi) (Japanese)/Anastasia Munoz (Funimation Dub)
- Namiko (なみこ Namiko): Suzuko Mimori (三森 すずこ Mimori Suzuko) (Japanese)/Sarah Wiedenheft (Funimation Dub)
- Hass (はっす Hassu): Akari Kito (鬼頭明里 Kitō Akari) (Japanese)/Amber Lee Connors (Funimation Dub)
- Sakiru Tonkawa (問川 さきる Tonkawa Sakiru): Kaede Yuasa (湯浅 かえで Yuasa Kaede) (Japanese)/Dani Chambers (Funimation Dub)
- Anosillus the 2nd (アノシラス（２代目） Anoshirasu (2-daime)): Karin Takahashi (高橋花林 Takahashi Karin) (Japanese)/Monica Rial (Funimation Dub)
- Director: Akira Amemiya
- Screenplay: Keiichi Hasegawa
- Character Design: Masaru Sakamoto
- Gridman Design: Masayuki Goto
- Alexis Design: Koyama Shigeto
- Kaiju Design: Shinji Nishikawa, Hiroshi Maruyama, Ichiro Itano, Osamu Yamaguchi, Masahiro Maeda
- Assist Weapon Design: Takeshi Nonaka
- Junk Design: Shinta Sanniya
- Heroic Drawing Chief: Muta Ouchi
- Assistant Director: Yoshiko Kaneko
- Sub Character Design: Mayumi Nakamura
- 3DCG Director: Shinichi Miyanei
- 3DCG Production: Graphica
- Art Director: Yukihiro Watanabe
- Color Design: Nishida Takeda
- Director of Photography: Yamamoto Yayoi
- Editing: Yoshitake Masato
- Music: Sagisuki Shiro
- Music Production: Pony Canyon
- Acoustic Supervision: Toshiki Kameyama
- Sound Effects: Yuko Morikawa
- Line Producer: Masato Takeuchi
- Animation Producer: Kazuya Masumoto
- Animation Production: TRIGGER
Blu-Ray & DVD Release
- Opening Theme: UNION
- Artist: OxT (オクト Okuto) (Masayoshi Ooishi (オーイシマサヨシ Ōishi Masayoshi)xTom-H@ck)
- Ending Theme: youthful beautiful
- Artist: Maaya Uchida (内田 真礼 Maaya Uchida)
- Insert theme: Yume no Hero
- Artist: Norio Sakai
- The release of this series coincides with the 25th anniversary of Denkou Choujin Gridman, which premiered in 1993.
- Several elements of the series were reused and modified from a scrapped Gridman series, Denkou Choujin Gridman F. These include:
- The Ultra Series is an in-universe entertainment program and is referenced many times in several ways.
- This is not the first time in the Gridman franchise where the fight is taken to the real world. That honor goes to Denkou Choujin Gridman: boys invent great hero, where Gridman Sigma appeared in a city at the end of the anime short, which was also produced by Studio Trigger and directed by Akira Amemiya.
- Most of the characters in the series have their designs based on characters in the Transformers franchise, mostly from Shattered Glass. Expanding on this, every main protagonist has blue eyes and the antagonists have red eyes, similar to how Transformers' eyes are color coded according to their allegiance.
- Several characters in the show have their names inspired by the names of toy manufacturers; Hass (Hasbro), Kena (Kenner), Sakiru Tonkawa (Tonka), Namiko (Bandai Namco), Toiko (ToyCo), Takarada (TakaraTomy) and Doi Hako (Toy Box).
- The series' Opening and Ending songs were awarded First and Third places respectively in AniUta's top 100 anime songs for October 2018. UNION also won First place again in November 2018.
- While it has not been explicitly stated, there are hints of this series being a sequel to Denkou Choujin Gridman.
- It is thought the SSSS in the name stands for "Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad", referencing the American adaptation.
- According to the twelfth and final episode, the SSSS actually stands for "Special Signature to Save a Soul".
- ↑ https://gridman.net/character/
- ↑ https://gridman.net/onair/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1047909703035052037
- ↑ https://gridman.net
- ↑ https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2018/anime-expo-news-roundup-day-zero-one-two-headlines/anime-expo-trigger-panel/.133997
- ↑ https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/738
- ↑ https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-10-03/ssss.gridman-anime-takes-over-akihabara-to-mark-premiere/.137553
- ↑ https://natalie.mu/comic/news/301940
- ↑ http://www.oxt-music.com/event/201806291200.php
- ↑ http://uchidamaaya.jp/news/archives/2228
- ↑ https://twitter.com/aniuta_PR/status/1057922331086008320
- ↑ https://twitter.com/aniuta_PR/status/1069517829471260673