- 1 Overview
- 2 History
- 3 Bases
- 4 Members
- 5 Arsenal
- 6 Other Media
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
The members that most often appear in Ultraman are the five members from the Japan branch, Captain Muramatsu (referred to as a Cap), followed by Chief Shin Hayata, Daisuke Arashi, Mitsuhiro Ide, and Personnel Officer Akiko Fuji. The young boy Isamu Hoshino was also made a Special Personnel Officer in the middle of the series, and the title of special personnel was also awarded to the friendly kaiju Pigmon (in episode 37). The Japanese branch has also been visited by members from the Paris headquarters and Overseas branches. (Instances of these are found in episodes 7, 22, 23, 31, and 32.)
While originally depicted as having an emphasis on research rather than as a combat organization, the Science Patrol has managed to defeat many monsters on its own; indeed, the number of successes it has enjoyed is the highest of that of any defense team.
Ultra Strategy, Mobilization of the Science Patrol!
At the heart of the Japanese branch's establishment was Dr. Ichinotani and his colleagues, who appeared in Ultra Q. During the events of Tsuburaya Productions's certified PC game, Ultra Strategy, Mobilization of the Science Patrol!, which depicts the events between Ultraman and Ultra Q, the Science Patrol had been fighting against alien monsters long before the first appearance of the original Ultraman on Earth.
Initially, the founder, Dr. Ichinotani, was seriously injured when the nuclear dew monster Gold King attacked the Science Patrol's operations in the Hexagonal village (Ultra Strategy episode 1 "Birth of Japan's Branch of the Science Patrol") and subsequently retired from front-line work. In episode 31 of Ultraman, Cap Muramatsu mentioned that the Japan branch of the SSSP had existed for at least 20 years by that time.
The SSSP was formed to investigate and deal with events and incidents directly and indirectly related to Kaiju and aliens. After fighting alongside Ultraman on many occasions, the Japan Branch was destroyed by Zetton during its attack. The SSSP used a special anti-gravity weapon to defeat Zetton, showing that humanity could handle themselves. Eventually, the SSSP was dissolved, and presumably reformed into future attack teams. The data that the SSSP collected was used by GUYS in the future.
At some point they had sent Shingo Sakomizu, where he was protected by Zoffy from an alien fleet. He experienced the Rip-Van-Winkle as a result of his trip to space, which severely slowed his ageing. He eventually became the captain of GUYS.
Founded 20 years ago by Dr. Ichinotani from Ultra Q and located in the Tokyo suburbs, the SSSP Japanese branch HQ is formed by two interconnected buildings. The one is a gray-colored trapezoidal shaped building, while the other is a black building with a parallelogram shape. The launch pads of the Jet VTOLs are a separate construct next to the main building.
The outer walls of the base are built using a special alloy steel concrete, to block all light ray and heat ray attacks.
The internal of the base includes the command room which is equipped with a large electronic brain. The bedrooms are on the upper floor with a fire pole leading down to the command room. A hotel section exists with well-equipped sleeping rooms for visitors. An analysis room is used to study items recovered from field missions and to assemble equipment and new weapons. An automatic water discharge apparatus has also been installed all around the base, for the purpose of suppression of structure fires.
Sublight Spaceship Izanami
The extraterrestrial department of the SSSP was testing sublight speed technology. Their base of operations was on board Sublight Spaceship Izanami. The ship has a docking bay that is able to store a Jet VTOL.
A division of the SSSP based in Singapore that is featured in Ultraman: A New Power of Singapore. Its only known member is Dr. Alisha Hoshi of the Space Organism Research Lab.
- Main article: Toshio Muramatsu
Toshio "Cap" Muramatsu (
- Age: 36 years old
- Actor: Akiji Kobayashi
(does not appear in episode 30)
- Main article: Shin Hayata
Shin Hayata (
Ever since Ultraman, Hayata has been Ultraman's human host.
- See Also
- Main article: Daisuke Arashi
Daisuke Arashi (
- Age: 26 years old
- Actor: Iyoshi Ishii
- Main article: Mitsuhiro Ide
Mitsuhiro Ide (
- Age: 24 years old
- Actor: Masanari Nihei, also known as Masanori Nihei
- See also
- Main article: Akiko Fuji
Akiko Fuji (
- Age: 21 years old
- Actor: Hiroko Sakurai
(does not appear in episode 30)
- See Also
- Main article: Isamu Hoshino
Isamu Hoshino (
- Age: 11 years old
- Actor: Akihide Tsuzawa
(Appears in episodes 1 - 4, 6, 9, 11, 16 - 18, 21, 24, 25)
- Main article: Dr. Iwamoto
He was the designer of the Jet VTOL, and simultaneously the Phoenix No. rocket.
He took over for Dr. Ichinotani, from Ultra Q, as the Science Patrol's scientific adviser after the latter's retirement.
- Age: 40
- Actors: Akihiko Hirata, Toshi Morizuka (substitute in episode 36)
(Appears in episodes 5, 12, 13, 16, 25, 36, 39)
Liaison Jim (ジム連絡員 Jimu renraku-in) was a SSSP member from their France HQ. He was sent to Japan HQ to help them investigate the Arabian Desert's mysterious plane disappearances (that were caused by Antlar). Jim knows many languages, including Arabic and Hebrew. He also knows of the ESP ability that the princess of Baradhi uses.
Actor: Edgar Keizer
Anne Morheim came from France HQ to show Hayata, Paris. Anne also had an underground twin, who took her place as an impostor and tried to corrupt Ultraman to the evil of the Underground People--but without success, as Shin Hayata's transformation instead killed them all. Anne then came back from Paris after realizing Hayata had been abducted and explained to the Science Patrol what had happened.
Actor: Annette Sonfers
Alan Birottsu came from France HQ to help the Japan HQ with Jamila's force field. Alan then told the Science Patrol about Jamila.
- Alan and other France HQ member actors had to learn Japanese, it is noticeable because of their accents.
Actor: Pierre Pirottsu
Gotoh was a member of the Bolivian base of the Science Patrol. 20 years before the series he and his father where sent on a expedition to the Amazon only to have them both killed by Keronia. Keronia disguised himself as Gotoh and tried to infiltrate the SSSP base.
The real Gotoh never actually appeared in the series; "his" only appearance was when Keronia was disguised as him.
Actor: Yoio Kirino
Patty is from the SSSP's India branch. Hayata was her escort while she visited Japan. She became unconscious due to Zumbolar's combustion.
She was called Patra in the English dub.
Actor: Mari Anne
- Main article: Shingo Sakomizu
Shingo Sakomizu (サコミズ・シンゴ Sakomizu Shingo) was originally a member of the SSSP that was on an away mission from Earth during Ultraman as captain of Sublight Spaceship Izanami. During one of these flights, he was attacked by a fleet of alien ships but was saved by Zoffy. This incident made him realize how much the Ultras were actually doing for humanity, that the human race was unaware of the hidden dangers in the Universe and his testimonies upon his return were the reason GUYS was formed and maintained despite a lack of supposed threats from aliens or monsters for twenty-five years.
Due to the Rip-Van-Winkle effect, Sakomizu had only experienced a fraction of the time experience on Earth. The result of approaching the Speed-of-Light is that time stretches and the time outside the object moving at such velocities is faster than inside. This is why he is so young despite being of Shin Hayata's generation.
Alisha Hoshi (アリーシャ・ホシ Arīsha Hoshi) is a researcher belonging to the Space Organism Research Lab of the SSSP's Singapore Branch, who was first seen reviewing old photographic evidence of Ultraman's visits to Singapore while investigating mysterious phenomena, before coming face-to-face with the Kaiju terrorizing the island nation.
Actor: Hikari Kuroki
The Science Patrol is equipped with numerous special equipment, so they can operate according to any situation. Development of equipment is done mainly in the science center, by Dr. Iwamoto and member Matsuhiro Ide.
The Patrol personnel wear international-orange field uniforms under a regular duty blue business suit uniform with white trousers or skirts. When the order to go into the field is given, the outer suit is designed to be quickly removed in favor of the field uniform. Accompanying the field uniform are special helmets with ear fixtures that improve the reception of their communicator pins, and visors that provide visual aid, such as when using weapons. The field uniform/helmet combination also provides a degree of protection, such as from radiation, even enough to allow a human to operate in space without having to breathe or worry about the bends.
The uniforms of the SSSP are noteworthy, as they were international orange in dominant color, and based on those used in the film Forbidden Planet in having a mantle that descends from each shoulder in front with a curved hem. However, they wear white shirts and orange four-in-hand ties instead of a ribbed imitation of a sailor's striped shirt. Their tie tacks are emergency detectors; each flashes and beeps when a monster is near. They wear plastic airman's helmets with the insignia in the middle, which also appears on both descending parts of the mantle. As a precursor to the later Star Trek's communicator being incorporated into the insignia, theirs functions as a two-way radio once a tiny antenna is raised from the star on the insignia on the left.
- Meteor Badge (流星バッジ Ryūsei bajji): Each Science Patrol officer is equipped with a small pin shaped as the organization's meteor emblem that has a radio transmitter of considerable power and range for its size--or, more likely, one that relies on a dense network of radio-communications relays. All the operator has to do is pull out the small antenna at the top of the pin to activate it and send a message.
- Monster Translator: Invented by Matsuhiro Ide to translate any monster's language. It was used to communicate with the friendly monster Pigmon, in the second of the two episodes in which he appeared.
- Supergun (スーパーガン Sūpā Gan): The basic sidearm carried by each Science Patrol member. When unholstered, the barrel flips out from the handle and the gun is ready to fire. The weapon discharges either a wave of what looks like electricity or, alternatively in some episodes, a thin beam of energy. Three of them can be combined for a "triple shot," which is powerful enough to take down a (revived) monster. It returns for an episode of Ultraman Dyna as an "older model".
- Spider-Shot (スパイダーショット Supaidā Shotto): A heavy atomic gun that Daisuke Arashi uses frequently; it is his favorite weapon. Fashioned as a two-handed weapon—somewhat like a submachine gun with a massive barrel—it is clearly more powerful than the standard Supergun sidearm, and visually more impressive. It has at least three settings; stun, heat ray, and heavy damage. It is called the "gamma-ray gun" in the English dub.
- Marus 133 (マルス133 Marusu Ichi San San): A gun invented by Mitsuhiro Ide, that works on the same principle as Ultraman's Spacium Beam, and is thus mortally effective against Baltans. It is named after Mars, which contains Spacium, and the atomic number of Spacium, 133.
- Mad Bazooka (マッドバズーカ Maddo Bazūka): A large shoulder-mounted bazooka, also created by Matsuhiro Ide.
- QX Gun (QXガン QX Gan): A two-handed blaster, which attacks a monster's nervous system. Stands for "Quickly eXtinguish Gun." Called the "M-Ray Gun" in the US version.
- Spark 8 (スパーク8 Supāku Hachi): An attachment for the Supergun invented by Matsuhiro Ide, and used by him, that enables the gun to fire rapid shots. The effect is best described as a Gatling gun that disintegrates its target in parts. It is easily the most effective handheld weapon the Science Patrol has in its arsenal, yet Matsuhiro Ide only uses it twice; against Dorako II and Geronimon.
- Needle Type S80 (ニードルS80型 Nīdoru Esu Hachi Jū-gata): A rapid-fire gun that is stated to be 10 times stronger than the Spider Shot.
- Silver Arrow (シルバーアロー Shirubā Arō): An ultra-small missile used to shot down X's meteorite-shaped egg.
The SSSP operated many different vehicles, most of which are depicted by models. Their car was a customized 1961 rear engine air-cooled Corvair sedan, one of the smallest cars Chevrolet ever made.
- Jet VTOL: The Science Patrol's iconic principal craft, and is frequently just called the "VTOL." (The prop for the Jet VTOL was originally from the 1962 Toho SF epic, Gorath, but repainted and probably modified for this series. It should be noted that the Gorath prop was slightly pointier than the rounded VTOL.) Up to three are seen. A hydrogen-rocket modification is later built for it, allowing it to go into space. It is generally armed with missiles of varying quality, depending on the episode.
- Sub VTOL: A smaller, triangular version of the Jet VTOL, is actually an STOL with no VTOL capabilities. This was the vehicle piloted by Shin Hayata when he crashed it into Ultraman's "Travel Sphere" ship in "Ultra Operation No.1," the first episode, and destroyed both. It is generally not used to attack monsters, as it lacks the heavier firepower and carrying space of the Jet VTOL.
- Submarines S16, S21 and S25: The Science Patrol's short-range, high crush-depth underwater submarines, all of which are airlifted by the Jet VTOL to lakes or other bodies of water one at a time.
- Underground Tank Vellucidar: The Science Patrol's subterranean vehicle with a huge drill at the front. Similar to the Mole from Thunderbirds, it is named after the underground world from Edgar Rice Burroughs's At the Earth's Core. It appears to have its own incidental music when it is first used.
- Special Search Party Private Car: A silver 1961 Chevrolet Corvair four-door sedan with the Science Patrol logo on the doors and roof.
- Main article: SSSP (ULTRAMAN)
The manga version of the defense team from the 2011 manga from HEROES magazine.
|Showa Defense Teams||SSSP | TDF (UG, MAT, TAC, ZAT, MAC, UGM) | Science Guard Party|
|Heisei Defense Teams||UMA | WINR | HEART | Mydo | TPC (GUTS, Super GUTS, Black Buster Corps, Neo Super GUTS) | GUARD (XIG) | EYES | TLT | DASH | GUYS | DEUS | ZAP SPACY | Team U | UPG | Xio | VTL | AIB|
|Reiwa Defense Teams||EGIS | GAF (STORAGE) | TPU (GUTS-Select)|
|Other Defense Teams||Inter Galactic Defense Force | Space Patrol | MIGHTY JACK | SGM | Team Mouri | SAT | SAF | PAT | Koseidon Corps | SWORD | SSSP | USP|