The Residents of the Land of Light (光の国の住人 Hikari no Kuni no Jūnin), or the People of Nebula M78 (M78星雲人 M78 Seiun-jin), are the race who live on the Land of Light. They are beings of light who are known for their great powers and strong sense of compassion and justice, which motivates them to promote peace across the universe.
- 1 History
- 2 Characteristics
- 3 Anatomy
- 4 Powers
- 5 Alternate Versions
- 6 Gallery
- 7 See Also
Within the original continuity, the Ultras were once a race of beings who resembled humans and lived on a planet located in Nebula M78. Their sun was nearing the end of its life, and it going out would mean the end of their race. Unwilling to give up hope, the planet's greatest scientific minds created an artificial sun called the Plasma Spark, which brought light to their planet once again.
The light from the Plasma Spark changed the people of the Land of Light into giant silver beings who had many wondrous abilities. The Ultras believed their powers should be used to bring peace and to protect others from harm, and in order to do this they created the Inter Galactic Defense Force. As the Inter Galactic Defense Force battled evil beings, various races such as the Babarue, Temperor, and Baltan aliens saw them as a threat and made attempts to destroy them.
One of the greatest threats to the Land of Light came from a being called The Emperor, who with an army of monsters and aliens attacked the Land of Light in an event known as the Ultimate Wars. The Emperor conquered the Land of Light but the Ultras fought back and reclaimed their homeworld. The hero of this conflict was an Ultra named Ken, who would go on to become Father of Ultra. He dueled the Emperor in a battle that left both with matching wounds and forced the Emperor to retreat, not to be seen again for thirty thousand years.
The next great threat to the Ultras came from an Ultra named Belial. Belial was a veteran of the Ultimate Wars and a comrade to Ken and Marie. After seeing the Emperor's might, his mind was consumed by a need for more power. When Ken, instead of Belial, was made the Inter Galactic Defense Force's Top Commander, Belial's pride led him to attempting to steal energy from the Plasma Spark for himself. However, his attempt failed as the power of the Plasma Spark was too much for him. For this crime, which could have destroyed Planet Ultra, he was exiled by his fellow Ultras. Shortly after his exile, an encounter with Alien Rayblood led to Belial being turned into a dark Ultra. He attempted to destroy the Land of Light and was defeated by Ultraman King, who then created the Space Prison to imprison him.
Many years later Belial was freed from his prison and waged war on the Land of Light once again. He was successful in removing the Plasma Spark, which resulted in the majority of Ultras on the planet being frozen. The remaining Ultras, along with the help of Rei and Ultraman Dyna, fought Belial at the Monster Graveyard. Belial was ultimately defeated by Ultraman Zero and the Plasma Spark was brought back to Planet Ultra, restoring life to the planet.
Before the events of Ultraman Geed, the Ultras ventured to the World of Side Space and participated in the Omega Armageddon, fighting against Belial and his army. However, the Ultras could only gaze at their failures as Belial succeeded in triggering Crisis Impact before Ultraman King sacrificed his life to undo the damages Belial had caused. Afterwards, the Ultras became a popular legend among the people of that universe’s restored Earth.
An Ultra's average height is usually 130-160 feet (40-50 meters). Ultras have various abilities, most notably their ability to manipulate energy. They are able to fire energy beams from various positions of crossed hands, levitate objects, and create barriers. Ultras are able to fly and have displayed the ability to heal other beings through their light.
Since the Earth's atmosphere naturally filters out most of the light that hits it, an Ultra's energy supply is limited while they are on Earth. Some Ultra shows state the problem is that the Earth's atmosphere is too badly polluted to allow enough light through. Ultras do not have time limits in space or on planets lacking an Earth-like atmosphere.
Regardless of the reason, Ultras can only stay in their giant form on Earth for three minutes on average. Their Color Timer or Warning Light will turn red and begins to blink with increasing frequency as their power dwindles. To counter this time limit and stay on Earth indefinitely, an Ultra will almost always obtain a human form or merge with a host. If the host was recently deceased then the Ultra's powers will revive them, and they will then share a life force with the Ultra.
Ultras are difficult to permanently kill. Numerous times an Ultra has died, only to be revived by another member of their species or through other means. A large amount of energy is able to revive them, usually supplied by their human allies. It has been stated by Mirai that though it is possible for an Ultra to be revived, it is not a guaranteed event, meaning the phenomenon is almost miraculous in nature.
- Ultra Armor: The skin of an Ultra. Its name comes from the fact that it acts like armor as much as it is skin. Each individual Ultra Armor is generally resistant to fire and lasers. Upon suffering a serious wound, particles of light may emerge from openings in the Ultra Armor. Their Ultra Armor is weak to the cold unless they have access to a direct light source. It is also stated that Ultras absorb heat and light through the silver parts of their skin to produce energy. It is also known that the skin of Ultras is made of Spacium.
- Inner Workings: It has been stated that the insides of Ultras are not pure energy. They have bones and organs not unlike humans and possess organs humans do not have, such as a color timer, beam lamp, or sluggers. It should be noted that the injuries of an Ultra translate between their Ultra and human forms, unless they are joined with a host. Several Ultras have been wounded in ways that imply organic inner workings. Some examples are: Taro, whose arm had been broken, Mebius being poisoned by Birdon, and Seven's compound injuries weakening his strength near the end of his series.
- Immune Systems: Ultra have shown considerable immunity to diseases and biological weapons.
Body Colors and Family Traits
In the Land of Light there are three main groups of Ultras, the Silver Tribe (シルバー族 Shirubā-zoku), such as Ultraman, Zoffy and Ultraman Jack, Red Tribe (レッド族 Reddo-zoku), such as Ultraseven and Ultraman Taro, and the Blue Tribe (ブルー族 Burū-zoku), such as Ultraman Hikari and Ultraman Tregear. These colors are to Ultras what 'ethnicity' is to humans. Red Ultras tend to be much stronger and more athletic than their blue counterparts, hence most of the Inter Galactic Defense Force is comprised of Red Ultras. Conversely, Blue Ultras are much more gifted mentally and are likely to join the Space Information Center, working as scientists and engineers, though in recent years it has been shown there are more Blue Ultra candidates in the Inter Galactic Defense Force. There are also Ultras who have both red and blue colored bodies in the Land of Light, notably Ultraman Zero.
Ultras have extremely long life spans, when compared to humans. Although Zero is more than 5000 Earth years in age during his first appearance, he is considered a teenager by Ultra standards. The oldest known Ultra in the World of the Land of Light is Ultraman King, at over 300,000 years old. Mother of Ultra, Father of Ultra, and Belial are around half his age.
- Ultra Beam: The majority of Ultras are able to fire an Ultra Beam from hands crossed in a T, L or even X style. This beam can also be fired in ways such as an outstretched hand or from a jewel on an Ultra's forehead. A basic Ultra Beam is powerful enough to destroy the average monster in one shot.
- Light Bullets: A lesser form of their beam abilities, Ultras are able to fire small bursts of energy at a target. This technique is also known as Energy Bullets and Energy Blasts.
- Strength: All Ultras have displayed enhanced strength. For example, they are able to lift monsters their own size over their heads and throw them. Ultras with red bodies have greater natural strength than Ultras of other colors.
- Endurance: Ultras are considerably more durable than human beings. They have shown resistance to lasers, Ultra Beams, fire, and high temperatures. Ultras from M78 have a weakness to cold temperatures.
- Size Alteration: Ultras are able to change their physical size from microscopic to giant.
- Mental Abilities: Ultras are able to communicate with their own kind and other beings through their telepathy. This telepathy is able to operate over long distances. A number of Ultras such as Taro are trained to use a form of telekinesis called Ultra Psychokinesis.
- Barriers: Ultras can erect energy barriers to protect themselves from enemy fire.
- Flight: All Ultras have the ability to fly. They have also been known to fly interstellar and even intergalactic distances. Profiles on Ultras have stated that organs in their legs generate anti-gravity waves that allow them to fly.
- Healing: Ultras who take on hosts are able to fully heal themselves between battles, while Ultras in human form are not able to heal as quickly. In addition to this, Ultras are able to externally heal other beings. Mother of Ultra is known as the greatest healer in the Land of Light and is the leader of the Silver Cross Aid, a division of Ultras dedicated to healing.
- Assimilation: Ultras are able to share their life force with a human, fusing the two of them into one being. This act can revive a recently deceased person, though they will have to depend on the Ultra's energy to live.
- Human Mimic: Instead of taking a host, an Ultra may take on their own human form. In principle, this body operates in the same way as a host body, and it shares any injuries the Ultra obtains in giant form. An Ultra may copy the appearance of another human being for their human form, or they may create their own appearance.
- Teleportation: Some Ultras are able to instantly travel across great distances using teleportation. The trade-off for using this ability is a massive energy drain that leaves an Ultra weakened. In recent years, Ultras such as Ginga have shown the ability to teleport without a noticeable energy drain. This implies that the extent of this side-effect depends on the distance traveled and the user's skill.
- Travel Sphere: Ultras are known for traversing space in the form of spheres of light, usually red or yellow in color.
- Digitization: Ultraman Mebius was able to convert himself into data to fight against a Maquette Zetton in one instance. In Ultraman X, the titular character explained that he transforms himself into data when flying about in his travel sphere, implying that all Ultras do this. Several other Ultras have shown the ability to transform themselves into data.
- Ultra Sign: A form of long distance communication between Ultras. Ultra Signs appear in the sky or space as a series of characters created from light. Usually only other Ultras can see them, with humans being unable to.
- Ultra Twinkle Way: Ultras can create wormholes to quickly travel the vast distances of space.
In this version the Ultra live in the Kingdom of Light, ruled by Ultraman King, from his private planet. In this universe, the Ultras are less uniform in appearance, with some appearing organic and metallic, robotic, Angelic, similar to a merman, or a centaur. Their planet was destroyed by Belial, who in this version was sealed by King, in the very core of the planet. He destroyed it as he freed himself from his prison, killing many Ultras and scattering debris from the plane across the universe, creating monsters where they land. The abilities of these giants is not so uniform, but for while in general they have the same basic powers, they seem to posses their unique powers (at least those shown)
Ultraman Taro Manga
In the manga by Ken Ishikawa, the Ultras have a similar but different nature. In this version, the Ultras visited Earth in its ancient past, teaching primitive apes the basics of civilization. It was revealed that the Ultra Armor were suits the Ultra wore, as one removed their helmet, with their true selves being luminous human like giants. The light they shone transformed the apes into humanity. Taro would later shine this light when gravely injured, freeing mankind from the control of an evil alien. Beyond this and the fact that the Ultras used a flying saucer to get to Earth, there is no difference between them and the canon Ultras.
Despite this, some Ultras like the Ultra Brothers and Taro, are revealed to have been once human, transformed by Mother of Ultra who appears to Kotaro (who becomes Taro) as a blazing sun in space.
In this novel, we are introduced to an alternate version of the Land of Light and are given info about its Ultras and their evolution. In this version the Residents of the Land of Light are a seeming merger between their main counterparts and the People of U40. All of them have natural Human forms and typically spend most of their time in that state. The Ultra appear to culturally relish their lost 'humanity' as noted that Ultras and those turned into Ultras, are unable to cry even in human form. Another cultural point stated is that 'once a week', Ultra families sit down and have a regular meal instead of using their technology, the Ultra Conditioner, to automatically satiate them, and cleanse their bodies of impurities.
Like their U40 counterparts only a select few can become Giants. Their warriors, called the Space Guard, are noted for bearing red markings and a crest on their heads. This is due to predisposition instead of training which heavily implies the possibility of a caste system, but it is never outright confirmed.
In this continuity is is stated that the original Ultras were all silver, and had the ability to directly manipulate/take the life force of others. At present, all that remains of this group are the Ultra Priests. It is more than implied that they have taken this position due to fear from the other Ultra Groups at their abilities.
It is also implies that the other Tribes, Silver, Red and Blue, arose due to potential ability of the original generation. Those with greater fighting potential gained more red markings, and it is assumed that those with greater intellectual potential gained blue markings. There was also a Yellow Ultra, who was trying to be a bridge between the Ultra Warriors, and Ultra Priests, which implies that Ultra may be able to change their colors and associated abilities, but that Ultra was the Brother of an Ultra Priest. There was also a psychedelic orange Ultra, who was once an alien converted into Ultrahood.
Another interesting fact is that said Yellow Ultra was noted for being an 'Ace Type', using Metallium Energy. This, and the main character becoming the second Ultraman Dual, being the same tribe, and using the same energy, and having the same features, implies that Ultra features are greatly determined by the energy they use. It is not certain how accurately this reflects the 'Canon' M78 Ultras, but this is similar to how Ultraman and Jack both have very similar features, both using plain Spacium Energy. Though Zoffy is still a mystery. It may explain Seven's Superior, and is shown again by Ultraman Zero, Seven's son and Taiga and Taro. Both father and son pairs use the same type of energy and have similar features.
In the comic by Marvel Comics, the history of the Ultra Tribe is similar but also radically different. Instead of the appearance of Ultras coinciding with the first appearance of monsters, the ancestors of the Ultra evolved to their current form in response to the monster threat. As monsters appeared and were attracted to large amounts of negative emotion, negative energy, the evolved to not only cease attracting them but also to become beings who could combat them. Thus the term Ultra was coined due to them 'reaching this ultimate state'. Since then the Ultras have fought to hold back the deluge of monster across the universe, and stopping to educate lesser/younger races into reaching a similar state.
Another difference between them and the main Ultras is that their travel spheres, are actual space ships, and implied to not simply creations of their bodies.
Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends The Movie
Ultraman Zero The Movie: Super Deciding Fight! The Belial Galactic Empire
- Ultra Warriors
- Ultra Citizens & Warriors
- Inter Galactic Defense Force
- Ancient Giants of Light
- People of U40
- O-50 Ultras