M1 (M1号 Emu Ichi gō) is an artificial lifeform that first appeared in Ultra Q.
Subtitle: Artificial Lifeform (人工 生命 Jinkō Seimei)
- Height: 2 m
- Weight: 180 kg
- Origin: Accidental experiment
A super express train called the Inazuma was off on its maiden voyage carrying many passengers, one of which was carrying a suitcase containing an alien substance called M1. When his suitcase was confiscated for security measures M1 grew into an ape-like creature and scared one of the crew members.
After doing so, M1 took control of the train and everything seemed to be fine until the Inazuma was moving too fast. Fortunately, most of the train was split to save the passengers, although M1 and a small boy were still in the locomotive with the controls over heating. Although the Inazuma collided with a bulldozer and two buildings, the boy and M1 managed to escape using M1's emergency escape pod.
- Voice actor: Masao Nakasone
- In original concept sketches, M1 was to appear along side a more insect like M2. A small model of M2 has surfaced as of late.
- M1 appeared in a Gaki no Tsukai 'No Laughing Earth Defence Force' as a small robotic toy that danced to AKB48's song "I Want You". An X-Plus of the figure and a photo of the monster appeared as well.
- It is said M1's face greatly resembles comedian Masatoshi Hamada.
- The "M" in the name also stands for "Masatoshi". Some say it was a match made in heaven.
- A year later, in Gaki No Tsukai's No Laughing Detectives, during the Don't Get Scared segment, M1 makes a full appearance, as 'Hamada Entrance'. Hamada's signature laughter was played over a recorder as M1 walked into the scene.
- The M1 suit was reused from Ultra Zone and Ultraman X, but has lights in its eyes.
M1 returns in episode 7 of the variety show, Ultra Zone. It is confirmed, unlike Kemur Man and Ragon, that he is the same M1 from the original Ultra Q. He was floating in space until a voice awoke him, and he flew to Earth.
M1 reappears in episode 19 of Ultraman X.
M1 was originally an artificial being created by humanity years ago. However, it was deemed a failure and jettisoned into space, orbiting the Earth. Due to this, M1 grew disgusted of humanity and believed that coexistence between humanity and other lifeforms was impossible.
In the present, when Ultraman X was fighting EX Gomora, it teleported X and trapped him in a capped flask, wanting to see humanity's reaction towards Gomora. Seeing Asuna's determination in wanting Gomora to come to its senses without offensive means, M1 released X back to Earth. He decided to observe humanity again, finally having faith in coexistence.
- Voice actor: Shozo Iizuka
- According to Tsuburaya's official blog, this M1 is indeed the same figure from Ultra Q.
- However, considering that the oldest monster attack in the Ultra Flare Timeline is Demaaga, followed by the Ultra Flare and eventually Ultraman X being the only known Ultra to arrive on that Earth, this M1 may be simply just had the same history from its Ultra Q incarnation, with other monster attacks in his early days of existence were omitted.
- His development in intelligence and ESP-based abilities is a result of his aging and long-time observation of the Earth.
- M1 was proposed with many backgrounds and hideouts for the scene where he kidnapped X and observed EX Gomora's rampage. In the end, the study table with multiple lab apparatus won.
- His jet black-colored eyes were meant to symbolize him having become the "ultimate life form".
Powers and Weapons
- Outer Space Adaptation: M1 can survive in a cold and airless outer space region.
- Ultraman X
- Teleportation: M1 can easily teleport anyone he desired simply by snapping his fingers.
- Size Manipulation: M1 can reduce the size of his target and revert it to normal.
- Ability Nullification: M1 can nullify his target's abilities, which allows him to trap Ultraman X in one of his test tubes.
- Screen Projection: M1 can project a holographic screen to view any events on the Earth.
Birth of Ultraman
|Birth of Ultraman Kaiju & Seijin|
|Kanegon | Garamon | M1 | Red King | Alien Baltan | Antlar | Chandora|