The Land of Light (光の国 Hikari no Kuni), also known as The Ultra Star (ウルトラの星 Urutora no Hoshi) or the Land of Ultra (ウルトラの国 Urutora no Kuni), is the home world of the Ultras of Nebula M78. It is located 3 million light years away from Planet Earth, is 60 times the size of Earth, and has a population of over 18 billion.
The Land of Light is a clear, green planet, with over 300 cities, mostly composed of a reminiscent green crystal material, which reflect the light and heat from the Plasma Spark, lighting up the whole planet and providing the residents of the planet with a limitless supply of energy. The planet itself is sixty times the mass of Earth and surrounded by large floating landmasses circling its core which bears a resemblance to a galaxy. The light energy from the Plasma Spark is extremely powerful, and can harm non-Ultra beings (such as humans), because of this, the Ultras create a force field for guests, as the light is too dangerous for outsiders. If the Plasma Spark is removed from its stand, the Land of Light would immediately freeze from the lack of heat, freezing all Ultramen on the planet. If returned, however, the planet will return to its natural state and the Ultramen are reawakened from their slumber. It is unknown if this affects any other life forms, though aliens from other worlds (humans included) can survive the cold of the planet.
The Land of Light's moon is actually a prison, made by Ultraman King to seal the evil Ultraman Belial and other criminals from the Land of Light. It is unknown if the satellite still exists after Belial's escape.
Yullian is stated to be the "princess" of the Land of Light, though the extent of her political power is unknown as it is never seen exercised. Her status as a "princess" implies that her parents would be monarchy, though they are never shown or brought up, nor is their influence on the Land of Light and its politics. Father of Ultra seems to be a very important figure, next to only Ultraman King who, ironically, does not hold the position of king despite his name.
Two hundred and sixty thousand years before the time of ZAP SPACY, the Ultras were a race of human-like beings who lived in a peaceful technological utopia. Unfortunately, the peaceful society lived on a planet orbiting a red giant near the end of its life. Their sun died, with the Ultras' ancestors surviving only because of their advanced technology, but they were left in perpetual darkness without their sun. For an unknown amount of time, the planet's greatest scientific minds came together and eventually devised a replacement for their sun, the Plasma Spark. A tower was built so this artificial star could illuminate the planet, saving it and its people from freezing to death in the cold dark of space.
During work on the project, two of the workers were exposed to the Differator Rays (ディファレーター光線 Difarētā Kōsen) and transformed into silver beings. Upon study it was found that they were incredibly strong and generated natural steroids to enhance their strength, could fire energy beams from their hands and could change their sizes at will. The Elder who then ruled the planet decided that all of his people should gain these powers and the project continued. When activated, the planet was bathed in the Plasma Spark's light and its people were transformed. However the light also traveled beyond their planet, disrupting the natural flow of evolution and causing monsters to appear on nearby worlds. The people renamed their planet the Land of Light and soon their race became known as Ultramen by other species. As the Ultramen advanced they developed the Color Timer, which were attached only to those Ultras that left for deep space.
The people of Planet Ultra had a strong cultural sense of justice and duty and so decided to use their great powers for the peace of the universe. The Ultras took to patrolling space, protecting planets by fighting invaders and monsters. However more belligerent races were opposed to these activities and became enemies of the Ultras' crusade against evil. Despite the many enemies they gained, the people of the Land of Light were only ever dealt serious blows twice in their long history as giants. The first was from a being called the Emperor and the second from one of their own named Belial. The first invasion was fought off and ended when Ken dueled and wounded the Emperor, as well as being wounded himself. The result of this was the formation of the Inter Galactic Defense Force as a proper organization with Ultraman Ken being its first captain. To commemorate this victory the Ultra Tower was constructed. The second threat was ended by Ultraman King who sealed Belial away in what come to be known as the Space Prison, which orbited the Land of Light like a moon.
The Land of Light also faced a potential catastrophe at the hands of Alien Babarue when he stole the Ultra Key when disguised as Astra. Without the Key, the Ultra Planet reeled off course and headed straight to Earth, which would have destroyed both planets. The combined efforts of Ultraman King and the Leo Brothers helped to prevent the potential crisis.
- Inter Galactic Defense Force Headquarters (宇宙警備隊本部 Uchū Keibitai Honbu): This is the place where Inter Galactic Defense Force members such as the Ultra Brothers are given missions and are dispatched to fulfill their duties.
- Ultra Colosseum (ウルトラコロセウム Urutora Koroseumu): Where young Ultra Warriors and adult Ultras alike are trained in combat. Ultraman Taro is a teacher in the Colosseum.
- Plasma Spark Tower (プラズマスパークタワー Purazuma Supāku Tawā): Where the Plasma Spark, the artificial sun of the planet, is kept. Only elite Inter Galactic Defense Force members such as the Ultra Brothers, or similar figure of authority are allowed to go inside, anyone who enters the Plasma Spark tower without proper authorization or simply tries to take energy from the Plasma Spark will be exiled from the Land of Light.
- Space Prison (宇宙牢獄 Uchū Rōgoku): A prison made by Ultraman King to seal Ultraman Belial and later used to hold other criminals for the Land of Light. It was created from the rubble of Belial's rampage.
- Ultra Space Port (ウルトラスペースポート Urutora Supēsu Pōto): The arrival/departure port of the planet, for the sake of visitors who cannot withstand the intense light, a barrier is erected all over the port.
- Space Information Center (宇宙情報センター Uchū Jōhō Sentā): A large building, compared to others, that serves as an information center and school. his building is responsible for relaying the Ultra Signs from their creators to their intended recipients. The Ultra Elementary School (ウルトラ小学校 Urutora Shōgakkō) is next to it.
- Ultra Tower (ウルトラタワー Urutora Tawā): Built to commemorate the victory over Alien Empera and his Monster Army. It is where the Ultra Bell is kept. It is located away from settlements. In the Ultraman Story 0 manga, it was created by the Ultra Brothers and others who formed the first generation of the Inter Galactic Defense Force, it was also used to incubate new Ultras.
- Crystal Town (クリスタルタウン Kurisutaru Taun): A city within the Land of Light, living spaces for families are present and it is near a valley called the Ultra Valley. This is where Taro spent his childhood training. It was first seen in the Ultraman Story 0 manga and later the footage was used in Ultraman Max when he was remembering his home.
- Training Facilities: Facilities for training, includes sphere for practicing Ultra Psychokinesis, and video libraries of previous battles.
- Medical Room: Medical facilities on the top of the highest tower in the city. The power of the Plasma Spark is used to treat the injured. This is where Father of Ultra went after he was gravely injured.
- Silver Town Square (銀の広場 Gin no Hiroba): A town square filled with energy from the Plasma Spark.
- Temple of Light: First seen in Ultraman Mebius, inside a mysterious space filled with swirling light, with no visible ceiling or floor. It is supposedly where Alien Empera and Father of Ultra had their legendary duel.
- Fountain of Life: Appeared in Ultraman Taro, it is where Kotaro was brought to merge with Taro. It appears to be a place with an aurora all over the sky.
- Ultra Clinic 78 (ウルトラクリニック78 Urutora Kurinikku Nanajū-Hachi): Appeared in episode 19 of Ultraman Taro, the medical facility where Mother of Ultra treated Taro.
- Monument of Mystery: A grassland where lush, a Silver Grass (シルバーグラス Shirubā Gurasu) plant exists only on the Land of Light. Appeared in episode 44 of Ultraman Ace, when Seven brought him here to treat him. There is an entry-restricted tomb here, behind super-alloyed metal bars, for the Ultras who died in the Great Ultra War.
- Space Science and Technology Bureau (宇宙科学技術局 Uchū Kagaku Gijutsu-kyoku): A place where science is researched and new technologies and inventions are developed. Hikari and Tregear used to work here.
- Space Zoo (宇宙動物園 Uchū Dōbutsu-en): A zoo for Kaiju.
- Ultra Archive (ウルトラアーカイブ Urutora Ākaibu): A library.
- Residents of the Land of Light
- Ultra Brothers (including Ultraman Leo and Astra)
- Ultraman Powered
- Ultraman Great
- Ultraman Zero
- Ultraman Belial (before fusion with Alien Rayblood)
- Ultraman Tregear (formerly)
- Ultraman Taiga
- Ultraman Dyna (temporarily)
- Ultraman King (temporarily, mainly lives on King Star)
- Ultraman Neos
- Ultraseven 21
- Ultraman Max
- Ultraman Xenon
- Ultraman Boy
- Zoffy (Neos Universe)
- Father of Ultra
- Mother of Ultra
- Ultraman Z
Other Ultra Home-Worlds
- Nebula M78:
- Planet L77: Ultraman Leo, Astra, Ron
- Planet U40: Ultraman Joneus, Amia, Loto, Elek, Ultraman Titas, People of U40
- Land of Pikari, Nebula Z95: Ultraman Zearth, Ultraman Hotto, Ultraman Motto, Ultraman Kitto
- Planet Earth: Ultraman Gaia, Ultraman Agul, Ultraman Victory
- Unknown: Ultraman Tiga, Evil Tiga, Guarde, Dark Giants, Ultraman Dyna, Ultraman Cosmos, Ultraman Justice, Ultraman Noa, Ultraman Ginga, Ultraman X
- Felis Constellation: Ultra Nyan
- Planet O-50: Ultraman Orb, Ultraman Rosso, Ultraman Blu, Ultraman Fuma
Ultraman: Another Genesis
In the novel series, Ultraman: Another Genesis, the Land of Light is known as the Kingdom of Light and appears to be ruled over by King from his own private planet. For crimes unspoken, Belial was sealed in the core of the planet by King. However a chance fluctuation in the mechanisms of his prison allowed for him to escape. The planet of Giants was destroyed, scattering its debris all over the universe. These shards possess the power of the 'Light of Nature' and have been shown doing several things...
- Reviving the dead: Several times the shards have been shown and stated to be able to revive the dead, providing there is a body to revive. The shard in Blast's chest revived him when he died and its energy also revived his friends.
- Altering and creating new bodies: Several times the shards have turned creatures into Giant monsters, one is lodged in the chest of the former human Blast, turning him into an Ultra-like being, other like Corporal Rocks, Joe and Jean, fellow comrades of Blast, had been revived and transformed into machine beings using the energy from Blast's shard which lingered nearby where their bodies were and the surrounding weapons on the battlefield.
In the 2011 manga series ULTRAMAN, the Land of Light existed. 260,000 years ago, the sun exploded into a supernova. They created an artificial sun which gave them powers, similar to the main version. However, the artificial sun went out of control which caused 80% of the 69 million planets in Nebula M78 to be destroyed including the Land of Light, which caused interstellar immigration in the universe, and caused a massive rift in space-time which is causing space to contract.
Ultraman: The Great Decisive Battle
New Century 2003 Ultraman Legend: THE KING'S JUBILEE
Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends The Movie
- In Ultraseven, it is clearly stated that the Land of Light has no winter, leaving its people vulnerable to cold weather. Extremely low temperatures are not fatal to Ultras, however - it makes them unconscious instead.
- In Ultraman 80, Takeshi Yamato said the Land of Light had its own form of currency, the concept of part-time jobs and its own music culture.
- There are approximately 18 billion inhabitants in the Land of Light of which 1 million are members of the Inter Galactic Defense Force.
- The presence of Yullian implies that the planet is ruled by a king, however it is stated that there are policies that carried out in the presence of a president such as Father of Ultra.
- It is stated that in the last 40,000 years the only criminal from the Land of Light was Belial, making organizations such as police obsolete.
- It should be noted that the Land of Light is as bright as a star, given the fact that it can be seen light years away.
- In the anime Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, the ancient Atlanteans were human like beings from the M78 nebula.
- The shards in Ultraman: Another Genesis are similar to the Blast Shards from the video game Infamous, debris from ground zero of an explosion that bestow powers.