Kyotaro was a journalist which give him some experience in investigating strange happenings. As the son of a human and the original Mirrorman, Kyotaro could transform into a copy of his father's true form. Once transformed he possessed all the same abilities and techniques his father did. For this reason was he targeted by the Invaders, a group of evil aliens responsible for the destruction of his father's physical form. Seeking world conquest, Kotaro's powers made him an obvious threat. With the help of SGM, an organization dedicated to stopping them, he fought the Invaders and Mirrorman.
Mirror Pendant: To transform, Kyotaro holds the Mirror Pendant up in his hands stretched outward. He faces a reflective surface, even a droplet of water will do, and shouts "Mirror Spark". Kyotaro enters the Mirror World and returns as Mirrorman. Later on he can do this without the Pendant, only needing a reflective surface.
Powers and Weapons
- Mirror Pendant: Kyotaro uses the Mirror Pendant to transform into Mirrorman.
- Travel to the Second Dimension: Using the same methodology as his transformation, Kotaro can transport himself between the reflective objects, by using the Second Dimension.
- Journalism/Detective Work: Kyotaro is a journalist which give him some experience in investigating strange happenings.
- Photography: Kyotaro is an experienced photographer.
- Kyotaro is the first hero from Tsuburaya Productions to be neither human or alien but the child of a human and his predecessor/namesake. This is similar to Shinjiro Hayata who would appear decades after his series.
- Kyotaro is the first Tsuburaya hero to share his alter ego with another member of his family, his father.
- This is similar to Madoka family line, several of whom bore the mantle of Ultraman Tiga.
- Kyotaro's actor, Nobuyuki also appeared as the brother of the main character of Super Robot Red Baron. He also appeared as the brother of the main character Akira in Mirrorman Reflex, in both cases he was responsible for the hero acquiring their weapons/abilities.