Hydra (ヒドラ Hidora) is a supernatural Kaiju that was apparently awakened by the soul of a child who was killed by a careless driver. It attacked several motorists before being countered by SSSP and eventually Ultraman. The Kaiju was allowed to escape, however. Its whereabouts are unknown.
Subtitle: Plateau Dragon (高原竜 Kōgen Ryū)
Years ago, a young boy named Akira was killed on Route 87. Afterward, the SSSP was visited by a young boy declaring that the mythical dragon Hydra would be arriving soon. Just as the Science Patrol investigated strange lights around the tip of a mountain, they discovered that the boy whom was killed had created the Hydra as for a park. Soon the Hydra breaks out of the mountain, roaring the world and vowing to get revenge on the motorists that had killed Akira. The beast leads a path of destruction, attacking vehicles on the road.
The Science Patrol manage to fight back, deploying powerful laser weapons against the creature. A blast to its chest manages to rip it open, but this only enraged the winged monster. As it approached, Hayata transformed into Ultraman. The two forces clashed, but Hydra managed to dodge Ultraman’s Spacium Ray. As Ultraman’s energy began to run low, the monster began to fly away. Watching on, Ultraman allowed it to escape as the spirit of Akira appeared on its back. The monster was never seen again.
- Suit actor: Teruo Aragaki
- While being named after the famed monster in Greek Mythology, does not resemble Greece's interpretation of the Hydra at all.
- Hydra's suit would later be reused and heavily modified into Guigass.
- In Ultraman Ginga, Hydra appeared along side King Pandon, Alien Temperor, and Gomess in the Dark Spark War.
- In the English Dub version of Ultraman, Hayata says that Hydra could be a prehistoric monster that's lived in Japan for millions of years.
- Hydra's design is adapted from the original plans for Bemular. It is often thought that the design was also partially bought by Nikkatsu to make Gappa, but this is unclear.
- A similar story would later adapted for the Kaiju Elegia in Ultraman Taro and later Shiela from Ultraman Tiga.
- Hydra's cutout is present in episode 12 of Return of Ultraman.
- Height: 60 m
- Weight: Weightless
- Origin: Izu Omuroyama
- Powers and Weapons
- Flight: Thanks to the wings on his back, Hydra is capable of flight at high speeds.
- Flames: Hydra can shoot a beam of flames from his mouth.
|The Birth of Ultraman||Kanegon | Garamon | M1 | Red King | Alien Baltan | Antlar | Chandora|
|Ultraman||Bemular | Alien Baltan | Neronga | Ragon | Greenmons | Guesra | Antlar | Red King | Chandora | Magular | Suflan | Pigmon | Gabora | Jirahs | Gango | Mummy Man | Dodongo | Pestar | Gamakujira | Gavadon | Alien Baltan II | Bullton | Alien Zarab | Aboras | Banila | Hydra | Kemular | Underground People | Telesdon | Jamila | Gubila | Guigass | Dorako | Red King II | Suflan II | Gomora | Dada | Goldon | Woo | Keronia | Zumbolar | Alien Mefilas | Giant Member Fuji | Alien Baltan III | Kemur II | Alien Zarab II | Skydon | Seabozu | Zaragas | Re-Pigmon | Re-Dorako | Re-Telesdon | Geronimon | Kiyla | Saigo | Alien Zetton | Zetton|