Grangon (グランゴン Gurangon) is the first kaiju of Ultraman Max.
Subtitle: Lava Monster (溶岩怪獣 Yōgan Kaijū)
- Height: 55 m (54 m in Max)
- Weight: 62,000 t
- Origin: Long Yan Yue
Awakened by a curious boy who strayed too close to his cave, Grangon emerged from the side of a volcano and began to attack whatever was in his path of destruction. As he began his violent attack, the volcano he emerged from began to erupt to everyone's horror. DASH was quickly on the scene and after slowing down Grangon with their missiles, a cooling missile was fired at the monster, solidifying it in ice and weaking him for DASH to fire another barrage of missiles, blowing the monster to pieces and killing him successfully. Shortly after DASH left to deal with the newly revealed Lagoras, the volcano that Grangon emerged from was still erupting, causing a lava flow to overtake the pieces that made up Grangon's former body. Coating in his very own element, Grangon was revived and resumed its rampage.
Now revived, Grangon continued his trek towards civilization, but as DASH tried to hold him back, Grangon and Lagoras met and the two monsters viciously battled each other. Neither Grangon nor Lagoras could best one another. During the battle Kaito took off with one of DASH's jets to take down both monsters at once, but it was quickly downed by Lagoras's ice breath. To both monsters' misfortune, Ultraman Max arrived and merged with Kaito before the jet could crash and now both monsters had to deal with the newest Ultraman to arrive on Earth. Neither Grangon nor Lagoras were much of a match for the ultra, and together were both destroyed by Ultraman Max's Maxium Cannon.
In episode 30, the carcass of a Grangon was spotted by DASH. It was revealed that the Grangon was killed and absorbed by another Lagoras who had evolved into Lagoras Evo.
- Originally, Grangon's subtitle was to be "Ancient Monster" and his name was to be "Gralion".
- Grangon's roar is a reused Golza roar.
- Grangon bears a resemblance to the kaiju Sodom.
- The mouth of the Grangon suit would be modified to make the mouth of the monster Gromite, from Ultraman Mebius.
- Although not physically seen in the series, in Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle: Never Ending Odyssey a piece of flesh that resembles Grangon's tail is seen being thrown at Alien Babarue's Antlar just as they prepare to battle Reimon Burst Mode's Gomora. It is assumed that a Grangon was killed by Gomora. Gomora is also seen carries body parts that belong to the monsters: Natsunomeryu and Mukadender.
- This episode was later featured in episode 15 of Ultraman Retsuden, "Birth of Ultraman Max! Defeat the 2 Monsters!!".
- Grangon as well as Lagoras were also referenced by King Pandon as their research topic for New Ultraman Retsuden episode 15.
- Grangon's face resembles Gomess, Peguila, and Kamoebas from Space Amoeba.
Powers and Weapons
- Fireball: Grangon can fire fireballs from his mouth.
- Lava Regeneration: Grangon can heal/regenerate fatally wounded injuries if his body comes into contact with lava.
- Magma Core: According to King Pandon, Grangon has a magma core on its back that is capable of generating incredible temperatures up to 900 degrees celsius.
- Teeth: Grangon's fangs/teeth were effective weapons against Lagoras.
Grangon is extremely weak in cold conditions and prolonged exposure could kill him.
|Ultraman Max Kaiju & Seijin|
|Grangon | Lagoras | Eleking | Baby Eleking | Reguila | Alien Sran | Pigmon | Red King | Salamadon | Paragler | People of Nebula KJ-K5 (Kesam, Kerus, Kedam) | Bugdalas | Natsunomeryu | Metacisus | Antlar | Halen | Alien Zetton | Zetton | King Joe | IF | Mike, Kuro and Tama | Nina | Eraga | Alien Shamer | Alien Tarla | Gilfas | Cloudos | Gomora | Madeus | Flygler | Alien Metron | Alien Neril | Alien Godley | Unizin | Alien Pitt | Eleking II | Luganoger | Lilika | Geronga | Lagoras Evo | Moetaranga | Tiny Baltan | Dark Baltan | Hophop | Adam | Eve | Red King II | Alien Satun | Keplus | Delos people | Auto Maton | Scout Berserke | Satellite Berserke | Giga Berserke|