Gomess (ゴメス Gomesu), scientific name Gometius (ゴメテウス Gometeusu), is the very first Kaiju to appear in the Ultra Q TV series, which makes it also the very first Kaiju to appear in the Ultraman Series. As a result of this, as well as the interesting nature of the creation of his first suit (having been built by modifying a Godzilla suit), Gomess is one of the most popular monsters to have appeared in Ultra Q, and has made many appearances in the Ultraman Series in recent years.
Subtitle: Ancient Monster (古代怪獣 Kodai Kaijū)
- 1 History
- 1.1 Ultra Q
- 1.2 Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle: Never Ending Odyssey
- 1.3 Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends The Movie
- 1.4 Ultraman Saga
- 1.5 Ultraman Ginga
- 1.6 Ultraman X
- 1.7 Ultraman Orb
- 1.8 Ultraman R/B
- 1.9 Ultraman Z
- 2 Data
- 3 Spark Doll
- 4 Other Media
- 5 Merchandise
- 6 References
Gomess was a Kaiju who, in ancient times, was the predator of the Kaiju Litra. In the present day, he was disturbed from his hibernation by a group of miners. He attacks the mining site where he was awakened. However, a Litra was hatching from her egg and engaged Gomess in battle. Gomess is killed by Litra's Citronella Acid attack. However, this cost Litra her life as well and both monsters died together.
- Suit actor: Haruo Nakajima
- Gomess is infamously known for being created from a loosely disguised Godzilla suit. Around the time of Toho's film, Mothra vs. Godzilla. Eiji Tsuburaya was beginning his work on the show, Ultra Q, and during the time of Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, a new Godzilla suit was to be used for the film. However when Tsuburaya pleaded with Toho Studios to use the suit, the MosuGoji suit was reused for the film instead. Once filming for episode 1 of Ultra Q was finished, the Godzilla suit that was used to make Gomess would later be given back to Toho Studios to create the film Invasion of Astro Monster.
- Gomess' head design resembles a rare Shisa statue in Okinawa.
- Gomess was intended to return in episode 18. But due to the filming of Invasion of Astro Monster, Toho lent the Baragon suit to Tsuburaya and Pagos was created instead.
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle: Never Ending Odyssey
Gomess appeared in this series as a bigger variation of its species, called Gomess (S) (ゴメス(S) Gomesu (Esu)).
When the ZAP SPACY's ship, the Pendragon, crashes on the desert planet Hammer, Gomess is the first monster to appear. Magular also appears and does battle against Gomess, but Gomess easily overpowers Magular until he turns his attention to the Pendragon. Rei sends out Gomora to battle the two Kaiju and manages to destroy Magular. Gomess was revealed to be a Battle Nizer monster and was called back by his unseen master before Gomora could finish him off. Gomess reappeared in the next episode when Rei used Litra to search for Alien Hook. This time, his master, Alien Guts appeared. After a battle with Gomora and Litra, Gomess was destroyed and Guts fled the scene.
- In this series due to the more staggering sizes of the other monsters, Gomess' size is boosted to 40 meters rather than his original 10 meters. To differentiate from its previous appearance in Ultra Q, this incarnation of Gomess is referred to as Gomess (S) (the "S" denotation meaning Special (スペシャル Supesharu)).
- During the opening credits to the series, Gomess is seen battling Arstron, even though neither monster fought or met each other in the series.
- During the Daikaiju files at the end of the show it is stated that Gomess is a mammal.
Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends The Movie
Gomess (S) was revived by in the movie by Ultraman Belial as part of his 100 Monster Army He was first seen as a spirit in a shot of the Monster Graveyard along with Alien Reflect and Eleking. He was then seen rising out of the ground along with Alien Baltan, Verokron, King Joe Black, Nova, and Antlar. He teamed up with Alien Baltan, Antlar, Magular, Zetton, Arigera, Gudon, Twin Tail, Guesra, Silvergon, and Goldras to take on Ultraman. He was betrayed and killed along with Alien Baltan by Ultraman Belial's Belial Geno Thunder during the final battle. Gomess later became one of the monsters to make up Belyudra's neck.
- This film features Gomess' first battle against an Ultraman after 44 years from its debut.
Gomess (as well as Arstron and Gubila) is one of the monsters who has been revived by Alien Bat to serve him. Gomess works alongside Gubila and double teams Ultraman Cosmos. Shortly into the fight, Ultraman Zero (whom was only 5 meters tall,) shows up and evens the odds by battling Gomess (S). Despite his smaller size, Zero is strong enough to hold off Gomess (S) long enough for Ultraman Cosmos to calm down Gomess with the Full Moon Rect, turning the monster good. However, Gomess (S) was tragically murdered by Alien Bat for his failure.
- According to the film's director, Hideki Oka, Gomess's introduction scene of him rising out of the ground is a tribute to the film, Mothra vs. Godzilla. Hideki Oka acknowledged that he is aware that the original Gomess' suit was originally created from the Godzilla suit.
Gomess participated in the Dark Spark War fighting alongside various monsters against Ultras until he was turned into a Spark Doll by Dark Lugiel.
It is likely that he returned to space in his original form after Ultraman Ginga defeated Dark Lugiel.
It first appeared at 4:13 in the morning, burrowing out of the ground and causing destruction to a local village until it burrowed back underground and caused local earthquakes as it moved underground until it arrived in Area S2-6.
Once there, he started to rampage again, but this time, he had opposition from Xio but their attacks couldn't hurt the monster and decided to retreat when Daichi transformed into Ultraman X. They both fought well until Gomess (S)'s strength gained the advantage causing X to use his Cyber Bemstar armor. He threw his shield at Gomess (S) causing him to flinch and decided to retreat and dug back underground before X could finish him off with the Xanadium Beam.
He stayed inactive for a while until he was struck by the Dark Thunder Energy and sported red eyes, in a similar fashion to Tsurugi Demaaga and was meet by Xio and Ultraman X in opposition again and this time he used his new abilities to gain the upper hand against them until the Xio captain, Shotaro Kamiki, realized Cyber Gomora to help out X and gains the advantage over Gomess by using his combat skills to let Cyber Gomora fight at close combat with him. Unfortunately, he ended up losing but wasn't about to give up when X transformed into his Exceed X form and double teamed Gomess (S).
Gomess (S) ultimately lost when X used his Exceed X Slash on the monster, relinquishing the Dark Thunder Energy from within his body, Cyber Gomora launched him into the air with his Cyber Super Oscillatory Wave and X turned him into a Spark Doll with his Xanadium Beam.
In the final episode of Ultraman X, after Greeza destroyed the Xio base, Gomess' Spark Doll was absorbed by Greeza. After speaking out to Gomora and striking Greeza right in the center of his chest, Gomess, along with all of the other Spark Dolls, traveled to X and united with him. Cyber Gomess' power was used to help form the Hybrid Armor and power up the Ultimate Xanadium to defeat Greeza once and for all. Gomess, along with the numerous other Cyber Cards and Spark Dolls, then appeared and thanked Daichi as he thanked them.
- Gomess (S) appeared in the episode released on November 3. His appearance in this episode is a tribute to Godzilla, whom celebrated its birthday also on November 3, since the first Gomess suit was modified from Godzilla.
- As a reference to Godzilla, Gomess uses a radioactive beam attack similar to Godzilla's Atomic Breath after being afflicted by Dark Thunder Energy.
- Coincidentally, Gomess's roars while afflicted are reused from Jirahs, another monster made by reusing Godzilla suits.
- Despite its gigantic size, it was called Gomess in the series, dropping out the (S) distinction.
- In the original planning, Gomess (S) was planned to travel around the world but was reduced to Japan due to the location constraints.
Gomess appeared in episode 24 of Ultraman Orb, where he, alongside Demaaga and Telesdon, rose from underneath Tokyo, but before they could attack, Ultraman Orb appeared in his Hurricane Slash form. However, as he said his catchphrase and the three monsters gathered to start the fight, all three of them suddenly fell to the ground, dead. Orb could only stare at the massacred monsters as he was saddened by their deaths.
- According to Kiyotaka Taguchi via his Twitter account, Gomess (S), Demaaga and Telesdon were all chosen due to their past appearance in Ultraman X. The reason for their deaths were due to Magatano Orochi eating the ground's nutrients and their energies but once surfaces due to the disturbance, they passed away due to energy depletion.
Seeing his brother in trouble, Blu transformed into his Ground form for the first time and held the upper hand against Gomess. When his Color Timer began to flash, Blu used his Earth Bringer attack on the Kaiju and Rosso, using the Orb Ring NEO, destroyed Gomess with his Sparion Beam.
Gomess appears in the vicinity of Chōfu, Tokyo (specifically nearby BicCamera KEIO CHOFU Store), menacing several dozen civilians. The ancient mammal however is intercepted by Sevenger, and despite being twenty meters shorter then the robot, the underground mammal quickly out maneuvered the robot. The beast got distracted when Haruki Natsukawa and a small dog were hiding under Chofu City Cultural Hall Tazukuri, and was punched into a building by Sevenger, where it ceased activity.
A 50-meter-class Gomess emerged from the underground alongside Demaaga and Pagos in their attempts to eliminate Ultroid Zero out of fear of the D4 weapon it possessed. The three monsters fought with Ultroid Zero before they were joined by Takkong and King Guesra. Ultraman Z also entered the battle but managed to drive off the latter two Kaiju back into the ocean. Under pressure from Director Kuriyama, who had been possessed by Celebro, Yoko Nakashima fired Ultroid Zero's D4 Ray at the three remaining Kaiju, obliterating them.
- Suit Actor: Hiroyuki Arai
- The first Gomess in the series is taller than the one in Ultra Q by 8 meters. Because of this, it was regarded as a "20 meter class" (20メートル級 Nijū Mētoru-kyū) by STORAGE, rounding off its height.
- Since Gomess' attack and its fight with Sevenger took place in the vicinity of BicCamera KEIO CHOFU Store, Director Kiyotaka Taguchi was fearful that the workers would be angered at him during his visit to said location. Instead, he discovers a peculiar soft vinyl stall within the toy section of that building which has a soft vinyl of Gomess photoshopped into a picture of said building. This is perhaps the entire complex giving their tribute to the episode and the Ultraman Series as a whole.
- Height: 10 m, 18 (Z)
- Weight: 30,000 t, 35,000 t (Z)
- Origin: Okutama near Mt. Konpo (Ultra Q), Chofu, Tokyo (Z)
- Powers and Weapons
- Burrowing: Gomess can burrow underground in a moderate speed.
- Fangs: Gomess possess a pair of fangs for close combat.
- Ancient Tail (エンシェントテール Enshento Tēru): Gomess can use its tail for bashing opponents.
Cyber Gomess (サイバーゴメス Saibā Gomesu)
- Height: 10 m
- Weight: 30,000 t
- Origin: Xio
- Cyber Power: Unknown
- Powers and Weapons
- Height: 40 m, 50 m (Z)
- Weight: 40,000 t, 42,000 t (Z)
- Origin: Planet Hammer (NEO), countryside area → Area S2-6 (X), Tokyo (Orb), Ayaka City (R/B)
- Attack: 1000
- Defense: 500
- Speed: 700
- Powers and Weapons
- Burrowing: Gomess (S) can burrow underground in a moderate speed.
- Fangs: Gomess (S) possess a pair of fangs for close combat
- Ancient Tail (エンシェントテール Enshento Tēru): Gomess (S) can use its tail for bashing opponents.
- ULTRA MONSTERS
- Primitive Strength (原初のチカラ Gensho no Chikara): Increases the player's Reionics powers by four.
- Ultraman X
- Strength: Gomess (S) possess brute strength which was able to fight with bare hands and resisting average Ultra Beams.
- Dark Thunder Energy (ダークサンダーエナジー Dāku Sandā Enajī): After being radiated by the energy, Gomess (S) sports new abilities and powers.
- Destruction Beam (破壊光線 Hakai Kōsen): Gomess (S) can launch a stream of high-powered beam from its mouth. When charging the attack, its dorsal fin shines purple.
- Dark Energy Outburst: Using the Dark Thunder Energy, Gomess (S) can release a dark energy outburst.
- Height: 40 m
- Weight: 40,000 t
- Origin: Xio
- Cyber Power: 17/25
- Powers and Weapons
In Ultraman X, Gomess's Spark Doll was awakened by the Ultra Flare, which caused the monster to rampage. It was reverted back into a Spark Doll after Ultraman X defeated it.
Gomess reappeared in the puzzle role-playing game for mobile devices, Ultraman Galaxy as a C (Common) card that you can unlock him in one of the levels in the game with a high chance of getting Gomess.
- Ultra Q Character Comprehension Vol.1 2011
- Ultraman White Paper pg 21
- Ultraman Pictorial Report 2002 17-26
- Technicolor Ultra Q Official Guidebook 2012 pg 12-19
- Ultraman Best Book 1993 pg 29-46
- Ultraman Saga Pamphlet
- Uchusen Magazine Vol 150 pg 102-103
- Ultraman X Blu-Ray Box Episode Guide 15
|Ultraman Zero Kaiju|
|Ultraman Zero The Movie: Super Deciding Fight! The Belial Galactic Empire||Alien Esmeralda Emerana Lourdes | Iaron | Darkgone | Legionoid | Delust | Brigante | Two-Dimensional People | Darklops | Malebrandes | Arch Belial|
|Ultraman Zero Gaiden: Killer the Beatstar||Beatstar | Rei's Gomora | Ace Killer | Inpelaizer | King Joe | Rei's Litra | Alien Bat|
|Ultraman Saga||Hyper Zetton | Alien Bat | Sphere | Gubila | Gomess (S) | Arstron | Legionoid | Chaos Header 0 | Lidorias | Bolgils | Mogrudon | Golmede | Mienin | Eligal|
|Ultra Zero Fight||Bemular | Telesdon | Gudon | Sadola | Gurashie | Red King | Galberos | Gan-Q | Bemstar | Pigmon Moroboshi-kun | Alien Mefilas Sly | Alien Hipporit Jatar | Alien Temperor Villainous | Alien Groza Grocken | Alien Deathre Deathlogue | Silvergon | Fanegon People | Tyrant | Armored Darkness | Kaiser Darkness|
|Ultraman R/B Kaiju|
|Ultraman R/B||Grigio Bone | Cereza | Black King | Gargorgon | Red King | Gue-Basser | Mecha Gomora | Aribunta | Ultraman Orb Dark | Gomess (S) | Horoboros | Bezelb | Gubila | Grigio King | Neronga | Pigmon | Booska | Dada | Alien Zarab | Alien Mefilas | Alien Chibull | Alien Bado | Alien Pitt | Alien Nackle | King Joe | Grand King Megalos | Gomora | Kamisori Demaaga | Grigio Regina | Leugocyte|
|Ultraman R/B The Movie: Select! The Crystal of Bond||Bemstar | Gan-Q | Alien Pegassa Pega | Mecha Gomora | Snake Darkness | Pigmon | Grigio Regina|
|Ultraman R/B Novel: The Blue-Eyed Girl Whose Name is Gray||Bakubarba | Nero | Margodon | Grigio | Fearmonger | Alien Egon Ciel | Barrigator No. 1 and 2 | Leugocyte|
|Ultraman Z Kaiju|
|Ultraman Z||Gomess | Sevenger | Genegarg | Bullton | Celebro | Neronga | Majappa | Bemstar | Segmeger | Windom | Guigass | Gomora | Telesdon | Erimaki-Telesdon | Peguila | Jugglus Juggler | Zeppandon | Gillvalis | Alien Pegassa Pega | Valis Raider | Skull Gomora | Thunder Killer | Pedanium Zetton | Alien Pitt | Tri-King | Five King | King Joe | Alien Barossa | Red King A & B | Giestron | Grigio Raiden | Kanegon | Greeza | Horoboros | Metsuboros | Alien Barossa II | Pagos | Kemur | Baraba | M1 | Kelbim | Mother Kelbim | Alien Barossa III | Ultroid Zero | Takkong | King Guesra | Demaaga | Gomess (S) | Destrudos|
|Fight! Sevenger||Sevenger | Jugglus Juggler | Crazygon | Diplas | Jirangon | Majaba|
|Sevenger Fight||Sevenger | Jugglus Juggler | Jirahs | Hellzking Revised | Eleking | Dancan | Pigmon | Garamon | Gazort | Reconstructed Pandon | Alien Icarus | Gandar | Alien Ghose | Beam Missile King | Pestar | Satan Beetle | Alien Boze | Alien Akumania | Alien Kettle | Oni-on|