Gauma (ガウマ is one of the main characters of SSSS.DYNAZENON. A somewhat eccentric and socially awkward man who claims to be a "Kaiju user" (怪獣使い Kaijū tsukai), he has some connection to the giant mecha Dynazenon and is one of its four pilots.)
5000 years ago, Gauma received Dynazenon from "someone", a woman. He was also affiliated with the Kaiju Eugenicists in the past. At some point, all of them died, but were unexpectedly revived in the modern era.
After wandering around for a while, Gauma is found collapsed underneath a bridge by Yomogi Asanaka. He remarks that he is hungry and that something had happened to him, and Yomogi gave him his Special Dog, saving him from starvation. Gauma tries to talk to Yomogi more and grabs his ankle, but he runs away to his part-time job. The next day, Gauma chased after Yomogi while he was on the way to school, wishing to repay him for his kindness, but his appearance and demeanor instead scared Yomogi away. Some time during all this, he made the bridge he was found collapsed under into his own personal camp and got a night job to be able to feed himself.
Gauma later appeared to Yomogi again at night, while the boy had been waiting for Yume Minami for about forty minutes. Seeing that she was late, Gauma decided to go and find her. When he did, he confronted Yume about her broken promise with Yomogi, talking so loud that Yomogi could hear him. Before the conversation could end, Shalbandes appeared in the city. Gauma attempted to "capture" it using his Kaiju user powers but found that he was unable to. The object in Gauma's bag started to shine, and upon taking it out it summoned Dynazenon, who took in Gauma, Yomogi, Yume and Koyomi Yamanaka as its pilots. Gauma controlled the entire mecha by himself, despite it being his first time in it. After a tough battle, Dynazenon changed into Dynarex and finished off Shalbandes.
In the aftermath, Gauma gave the components of Dynazenon to Yomogi, Yume and Koyomi and held onto Dynadiver for himself, and made them promise to start their training the next day. However, Yomogi skipped out to go to work. Gauma is unable to convince him to attend training even after going to his house, but later picks him up when Greyjhom appears and despite Yomogi's lack of training, they manage to defeat the Kaiju. The Kaiju Eugenicists made their presence known to the Dynazenon pilots and called out Gauma as a traitor, putting a sense of distrust into the others. When the Kaiju Burnaddon appeared, they were unable to unite their hearts because of their distrust towards Gauma, but were able to do so once again after he told them the real reason he pilots Dynazenon - so that he can meet with the person who entrusted it to him.
Powers and Weapons
- Kaiju Manipulation: As Gauma was originally part of the Kaiju Eugenicists, he was capable of manipulating Kaiju to his liking. This power had since diminished after he was revived in the present day.
- Dynazenon: A dragon-themed mecha that he uses as an alternative to combat monsters after losing his ability to manipulate them. It was originally in the form of an ancient dragon relic given to him by a woman in the past. Currently, Gauma is in possession of the Dyna Diver submarine component.
- Piloting: Gauma has the basic knowledge in piloting and operating Dynazenon, even if it was first used in the fight against Shalbandes.
- Elements of Gauma's design and his background parallels the ancient Chinese mummy from Denkou Choujin Gridman.
- The bag Gauma used to carry Dynazenon's dormant ornament-like state has a dragon seal on it, a reference to a similar prop from Gridman.
- The clothes he wears when he sleeps over in Yomogi's house actually belong to Yomogi.