Gabora (ガボラ ) is an uranium-consuming Kaiju that appears in the TV series Ultraman. It terrorized several radioactive power plants and consumed all the radium it could find. Gabora was eventually lured out and defeated by Ultraman.
Subtitle: Uranium Monster (ウラン怪獣 Uran Kaijū)
Gabora was a Kaiju that was awoken after Hurricane 13 ravaged the land. Feeding on mass quantities of uranium, Gabora began to make its way toward the uranium mines. In order to stop it, the Science Special Search Party was joined by Japan's SDF and massive flamethrower units were deployed against the Kaiju in hopes of stopping it. The beast turned away from the flamethrower attack, changing direction, but now made its way towards a small camp of boy scouts.
In order to save the camp, the Science Patrol tried to lure it away via a small uranium capsule attached to a Science Patrol helicopter, but two small boys had gotten trapped in the path of the creature. As Fuji helped save the children, Shin Hayata released the capsule as Gabora's armor plates exposed its true face. Annoyed by Hayata's presence, Gabora brought down his aircraft with his Uranium Ray. Crawling toward its meal, the beast wasn't prepared to fight Ultraman as Hayata summoned the red and silver hero.
The Kaiju fought hard, but the hero ravaged the reptile. Slamming him down, Ultraman began to rip off the metal plates around Gabora’s head. Screaming in agony, the subterranean titan began to flail about until the pain became too much. The Kaiju fell limp, its eyes closing and life fading.
- Suit actor: Haruo Nakajima.
- Gabora is the fourth and final Kaiju to be created from a modified Baragon suit, along with Pagos, Neronga, and Magular. Coincidentally, Gabora is portrayed by suit actor Haruo Nakajima. Gabora's head was slightly altered from Neronga's.
- In some shots, yellow pattern is visible on Gabora's back from when the suit was Neronga.
- Gabora's role was originally meant for Pagos, whom it shares many similarities with, like being made from the Baragon suit and having an appetite for uranium.
- Gabora reuses multiple Toho King Kong roars, in which some of these roars would later be reused for Gudon.
- Gabora is one of the Kaiju that makes up Belyudra's right horn in Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends The Movie.
- Despite the episode being its first appearance, the comments by the SSSP and other made it clear that it was not the first of its species humanity dealt with.
- It's likely this was oversight by the scriptwriter once Pagos was swapped out for Gabora.
- Gabora makes a cameo appearance in Ultraman Mebius episode 5 when CREW GUYS explores the Ultra Zone, and later in episode 21.
- The Kaiju "Raiju" from Pacific Rim is a direct homage to Gabora, having three-jawed head armor that encases its smaller, real head.
- After Gabora was killed by Ultraman, the suit would be reverted back to Neronga for public relations.
- When Ultraman first throws Gabora, the wire rod controlling the tail can be seen in frame. The wire for the head is seen several times.
- Originally, Gabora and Red King were to be revived by Geronimon, but due to their suits being in overused condition, were replaced by Telesdon and Dorako. This fact is left in the English dub when the SSSP mistook the revived Kaiju for Red King and Gabora.
- In the final episode of Ultraman, after Ultraman was defeated by Zetton, stock footage of Gabora can be seen along with Jirahs.
Ultraman: The Ultimate Hero
Powered Gabora (パワードガボラ Pawādo Gabora) was a Kaiju that fed ravenously on uranium that was being transported to a uranium mine. However, fearing that the mass quantities of uranium that it had fed on previously could ignite and create a nuclear explosion, WINR was forced to let the Kaiju feed until a solution could be found.
After feeding on the uranium, Gabora shifted its next target to the Havens Nuclear Power Plant. With the situation growing worse after a digested bomb failed to ignite inside of Gabora, Ultraman Powered appeared to take matters into his own hands. The battle was at a standstill until WINR exposed Gabora's weak spot: its head. Given this opportunity, Powered fired the Mega Spacium Beam at the Kaiju's head, destroying it.
- In this series, Gabora's appearance was very different, its claws were larger, it had four head plates instead of six, and the neck was longer than normal.
Gabora is confirmed to appear in the film Shin Ultraman, marking his first reappearance in at least 26 years.
- This version of Gabora has rotating plates on his back, which presumably serve to augment its head armor when burrowing through the ground, as the plates spin like a corkscrew, while its armor plating is shaped like a drill bit.
- Gabora's CGI model shares the same base body with Neronga. The head of Gabora and the body of Neronga are combined to make Pagos.
- Height: 50 m
- Weight: 25,000 t
- Origin: Tokyo suburbs
- Weakness: If Gabora's armor 'petals' are torn off, Gabora suffers extreme pain. If enough of these petals are torn off, it will die of shock.
- Powers and Weapons
- Uranium Beam: Gabora can fire a light blue Uranium Beam from its mouth.
- Armor Plates: The plates that surround Gabora's head act as head armor. They can enclose and make a pointed shape ideal for burrowing.
- Burrowing: When the plates that surround its neck are closed, Gabora can burrow underground at moderate speeds.
- Height: 45 m
- Length: 85 m
- Weight: 50,000 t
- Origin: Underground
- Weakness: If Gabora's head is exposed it becomes vulnerable to attack.
- Powers and Weapons
- Petal Armor: Gabora's head is covered in flower-like petals that it can open and close to protect its head from attack.
- Uranium Absorption: Gabora can absorb uranium presumably for nutrition. As it does this, Gabora disrupts communication devices and remotes.
- Burrowing: Gabora can burrow at low speeds.
- Explosion: If Gabora takes an extreme amount of damage, it can explode with the force of a nuclear weapon.
- Height: TBA
- Weight: TBA
- Origin: TBA
- Powers and Weapons
- Armor Plates: Gabora's head is covered in flower-like petals that he can open and close to protect its head from attack.
- Climbing: Gabora is capable of moving on steep terrain with ease, and can scale hills without difficulty.
- Burrowing: Gabora is capable of burrowing through the ground at high speed. While burrowing, Gabora closes his armor plates, which rotate along with a set of corkscrew-like plates on his back and tail to allow him to move through the terrain.
Ultra Monster Series
- Powered Gabora (Powered Monster, 1993)
Powered Gabora is the only Gabora to get an Ultra Monster Series figure treatment. As with all of the UMS toys, Powered Gabora features limited articulation on the arms and legs. His armor "petals" were molded permanently open.
Ultra Mega Monster Series 5000
- Gabora (2020)
- Release Date: June 2020
- Price: 5,500 yen
- Materials: PVC
Ultraman: The Ultimate Hero
|The Birth of Ultraman||Kanegon | Garamon | M1 | Red King | Alien Baltan | Antlar | Chandlar|
|Ultraman||Bemular | Alien Baltan | Neronga | Ragon | Greenmons | Guesra | Antlar | Red King | Chandlar | Magular | Suflan | Pigmon | Gabora | Jirahs | Gango | Mummy Man | Dodongo | Pestar | Gamakugira | Gavadon | Alien Baltan II | Bullton | Alien Zarab | Aboras | Banila | Hydra | Kemular | Underground People | Telesdon | Jamila | Gubila | Guigass | Dorako | Red King II | Suflan II | Gomora | Dada | Goldon | Woo | Keronia | Zumbolar | Alien Mefilas | Giant Member Fuji | Alien Baltan III | Kemur II | Alien Zarab II | Skydon | Seabozu | Zaragas | Re-Pigmon | Re-Dorako | Re-Telesdon | Geronimon | Keylla | Saigo | Alien Zetton | Zetton|
|Shin Ultraman Kaiju|
|Gomess | Mammoth Flower | Peguila | Larugeus | Kaigel | Pagos | Neronga | Gabora | Alien Zarab | Alien Mefilas | Zetton|