Defeat (敗・北 Hai・boku) is the third episode of SSSS.GRIDMAN.
On a very rainy day, Rikka skips the first hour of class and encounters a boy in the park. He disappeared before she got the chance to talk to him. Meanwhile, Utsumi talks about the identity of monsters, which puts fear into Yuta. A monster suddenly appears. Hearing the monster talk, Yuta, who transformed into Gridman, stops moving.
Voice Drama 3.3
But the truth is (でもでも本当は Demo demo hontō wa)
Namiko and Hass tease Yuta, Rikka and Utsumi because of their recent interactions.
- Yuta Hibiki (響裕太 Hibiki Yūta): Yuya Hirose (広瀬 裕也 Hirose Yūya) (Japanese dub)/Brandon McInnis (Funimation Dub)
- Gridman (グリッドマン Guriddoman): Hikaru Midorikawa (緑川 光 Midorikawa Hikaru) (Japanese dub)/Robert McCollum (Funimation Dub)
- Sho Utsumi (内海 将 Utsumi Shō): Soma Saito (斉藤 壮馬 Saitō Sōma) (Japanese dub)/Greg Ayres (Funimation Dub)
- Rikka Takarada (宝多六花 Takarada Rikka): Yume Miyamoto (宮本 侑芽 Miyamoto Yume) (Japanese dub)/Jill Harris (Funimation Dub)
- Akane Shinjo (新条 アカネ Shinjō Akane): Reina Ueda (上田 麗奈 Ueda Reina) (Japanese dub)/Lindsay Seidel (Funimation Dub)
- Alexis・Kerib (アレクシス・ケリヴ Arekushisu Kerivu): Tetsu Inada (稲田徹 Inada Tetsu) (Japanese dub)/Barry Yandell (Funimation Dub)
- Rikka's Mother (六花ママ Rikka Mama): Mayumi Shintani (新谷真弓 Shintani Mayumi) (Japanese dub)/Anastasia Munoz (Funimation Dub)
- Namiko (なみこ Namiko): Suzuko Mimori (三森 すずこ Mimori Suzuko) (Japanese dub)/Sarah Wiedenheft (Funimation Dub)
- Hass (はっす Hassu): Akari Kito (鬼頭明里 Kitō Akari) (Japanese dub)/Amber Lee Connors (Funimation Dub)
- Samurai・Calibur (サムライ・キャリバー Samurai Kyaribā): Ryosuke Takahashi (高橋良輔 Takahashi Ryōsuke) (Japanese dub)/Ian Sinclair (Funimation Dub)
- Max (マックス Makkusu): Katsuyuki Konishi (小西克幸 Konishi Katsuyuki) (Japanese dub)/Cris George (Funimation Dub)
- Vit (ヴィット Vitto): Masaya Matsukaze (松風雅也 Matsukaze Masaya) (Japanese dub)/Chris Burnett (Funimation Dub)
- Borr (ボラー Borā): Aoi Yuki (悠木碧 Yūki Aoi) (Japanese dub)/Apphia Yu (Funimation Dub)
- Anti (アンチ Anchi): Kenichi Suzumura (鈴村健一 Suzumura Ken'ichi) (Japanese dub)/Stephen Fu (Funimation Dub)
- Primal Fighter
- Max Gridman
- Primal Fighter
- Gridman Calibur
- Battle Tracto Max
- A drawing of Yametaranese's head can be seen in Akane's notebook. She also later plays with a Sasahiller figure.
- Displayed on Akane's shelf are monsters that have defeated an Ultra at least once, fitting in with the title and the plot of this episode. These monsters are Powered Dorako, Kodalar, IF (in its fourth form), Reigubas, Zogu, Grozam, and Zetton (only legs are visible)
- Max Gridman's hand-clasping motion, prior to executing Max Grid Beam is a tribute to Hell & Heaven technique executed by the titular mecha of GaoGaiGar and Optimus Prime (ja:Convoy)'s scene in the Japanese first opening of Transformers Armada (ja:Transformers Micron Legend).
|Awakening | Restoration | Defeat | Suspicion | Provocation | Contact | Scheme | Confrontation | Dream | Collapse | Decisive Battle | Awakening (Finale)|