Astromons (アストロモンス Asutoromons) is a Kaiju that appeared in the TV series Ultraman Taro. He and his original form, the Tigris Flower (チグリスフラワー Chigurisufurawā), both appeared in episode 1. He is also the first legitimate Kaiju of Taro's time on Earth.
- Tigris Flower: Blood-sucking plant (吸血植物 Kyūketsu Shokubutsu)
- Astromons: Giant Space Monster (宇宙大怪獣 Uchū Dai Kaijū)
Tigris Flower was a plant from space whose seed arrived on a desert of Earth and since became a legendary flower as it only bloomed every 100 years. Right at the end of the second age of aliens, the seed was planted by a local boxer named Kotaro Higashi. One night, the final Terrible-Monster of Yapool, Oil Drinker appeared and ZAT came to the area to battle with the Terrible-Monster.
Tigris Flower bloomed with a wide variety of attacks and soon formed into his adult form Astromons and battled with Oil Drinker. It didn't take long for the massive plant to eat the Terrible-Monster when Oil Drinker's head got stuck in his massive flower chest. After the battle, Astromons flew away into the night with Ultraman Taro's human host Kotaro Higashi clinging on his fur desperately to try to annoy the beast. Kotaro lost his balance and fell off and then rescued by a group of people.
The next day, Astromons attacked once again. ZAT soon appeared, and attacked once it got too close to its base.The base used its emergency escape and the base flew away leaving Astromons angry waving his tentacles in the empty air. During the attack, Kotaro's plane was hit, and sent crashing into the ground. Moved by this man's courage, the Ultra Brothers and the Mother of Ultra granted him a new life. The female hero placed her latest son, Ultraman Taro, into Kotaro. Not a second later, Ultraman Taro attacked Astromons. Taro attacked with many punches and kicks, until Astromons struck back with his acidic mist, allowing his to get multiple hits in. Taro managed to use the Strium Ray, and the massive plant monster was destroyed for good.
- Astromons' roar is a reused Goliath roar. Also ironically some of Daigoro's growls.
- Design: Ken Kumagai.
- Astromons was created from a modified Bemstar suit. Furthermore, Astromons pays tribute to Bemstar, since both shared a common subtitle and functions (Bemstar has a mouth on his stomach, like Astromons).
- Also, fittingly enough, the Astromons suit would be "unmodified" for Bemstar's reappearance in Ultraman Taro as Reconstructed Bemstar.
- Astromons's name comes from the English term "Cosmic Monster," when translated into Japanese is "Astro Monster".
- Astromons was initially named "Flower King", in the screenplay he was labeled as "Astro King".
- Astromons is said to be a "Super Terrible-Monster," however there is no direct reference between him and Yapool or any proof that this fact is accurate.
- However, this title might be due to the ease with which he defeated Oil Drinker, who was the last of the Terrible-Monster.
- Despite his only appearance, Astromons is one of the four figures to be made for the Taro series in Bandai's toy line.
- Although not appearing in the series itself, a figurine of Astromons is seen in Oki's collection of Kaiju toys in episode 8 of Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle: Never Ending Odyssey.
- Although not physically seen, Astromons is one of the monsters that makes up Belyudra's Neck in Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends The Movie.
- Astromons' head bears a resemblance to Black King.
- An article about Tyrant's body parts in the children's magazine incorrectly used an image of Astromons in place of Black King's.
- Astromons was originally set to appear in the film, Great Decisive Battle! The Super 8 Ultra Brothers, along with Vakishim, Twin Tail, Monsarger, Tyrant, Eleking, Red King, and Gomora. They were replaced for unknown reasons.
- Astromons, along with the original cast of monsters, were also meant to make up Giga Khimaira.
The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. The Monster Army
Astromons reappeared in the movie The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. The Monster Army.
Awoken by a rocket test that went terribly wrong in Thailand, Astromons, as well as the monsters Tyrant, Dorobon, and Dustpan, went on a rampage until they faced Hanuman. Hanuman withstood all of the monsters until Gomora appeared and attacked him as well. Hanuman was overpowered by the monsters and was encased in a crystal sphere by Gomora until the Ultra Brothers arrived to even the odds. Unlike the other monsters who were killed in battle, Astromons was killed along with Dustpan when they were both dismembered limb-from-limb by Hanuman's Hanu-Slash. They ran around hopelessly before crashing into each other and exploding into pieces.
- In the Japanese version of film, Astromons' roar is a reused Viras roar. He retains his original cries in the Thai cut however.
- In the film, Astromons can release a concentrated acid mist from his mouth. He can also breath fire, as shown on the poster.
New Century Ultraman Legend
Footage of his fight in Ultraman Taro was reused in New Century Ultraman Legend.
The Tigris Flower (チグリスフラワー Chigurisu Furawā) is the first form of the Kaiju Astromons.
- Height: 23 cm
- Weight: 5 kg
- Origin: Space ~ Desert, Earth
- Powers and Weapons
- Rapid Growth: Tigris Flower can rapidly grow until it becomes its adult form, Astromons.
- Knock-out pollen: Tigris Flower can emit pollens to knock out victims.
- Vines: Tigris Flower can use its vines to feed on the victims' blood by ensnaring them.
- Height: 60 m
- Weight: 58,000 t
- Origin: Space ~ Tokyo Bay (Ultraman Taro), Underground (The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. The Monster Army)
- Flight Speed: Mach 3
- Powers and Weapons
- Dissolving Solution (溶解液 Yōkai-eki): Astromons can emit an acidic mist from the flower on his stomach that can dissolve entire buildings in just a few seconds.
- Right Whip Arm: Astromons has a whip for a right arm, which he can use to batter and strike at enemies.
- Left Hook Arm: Astromons has a hook for a left arm, which he can use to batter and strike at enemies.
- Flower Gorge: Astromons' stomach flower has its own mouth, which is capable of eating anything in just a few minutes if it gets stuck inside it.
- Flight: Astromons can fly through the air at high speeds by simply flapping his arms.
- Flames: Astromons can spit a flame of 10,000 degrees from its mouth.
Ultra Super Fight
Astromons appears in episodes 2, 4, and 12 of Ultra Super Fight. In this series, a female Astromons appears. She is portrayed as a beautiful monster, fought over by Eleking and Bemstar until Ace scared them off and won Astromons' heart.
However, it was not the end. Eleking and Bemstar sought revenge, and recruited an Alien Godola as a hitman to help them. The two monsters and the alien they recruited attacked Ace, with Bemstar and Eleking battling Ace as a distraction so Godola could carry out the hit. Ultraman Ace killed Bemstar and Eleking, then defeated Godola, but was too late. Astromons had already been killed by Godola, leaving Ace broken-hearted.
Astromons later briefly reappears in episode 12: Monster's Birthday, where a Reconstructed Pandon wants to be her lover.
- The Astromons' stage suit was used for her appearance in this series.
Astromons has been released four times throughout the Ultra Monster Series. All four come in different colors with one being green with red arms and flower, one with yellow and red arms and flower, the other two look accurate to the episode appearance but with one having gold arms. All have three points of articulation and stand at 6 inches tall. In 2013 he is released as part of the Ultra Monster 500 Series as # 34 in the series. He stands at 5in tall and has good look except that half the flower isn't red. It has 5 points of articulation.
|The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. The Monster Army Kaiju|
|Super Gomora | Dustpan | Astromons | Tyrant | Dorobon|
|Ultra Super Fight Kaiju|
|Alien Baltan | Astromons | Eleking | Bemstar | Kemur Man | Alien Godola | Delusion Ultraseven | Alien Pegassa | Alien Metron | Zetton | Reconstructed Pandon | Pandon | Woo|